The Regional Arts Development Fund (RADF) is delivered as a partnership between the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland and eligible local councils across the state.
RADF promotes the role and value of arts, culture and heritage as key drivers of diverse and inclusive communities and strong regions. RADF invests in local arts and cultural priorities, as determined by local communities, across Queensland.
RADF is a flexible fund, enabling local councils to tailor RADF programs to suit the needs of their communities.
Cairns Regional Council offers out-of-round grants and two funding rounds each year. Council's RADF Committee provides recommendations and contributes to the ongoing implementation of the program.
Applications are assessed by a publicly elected committee against a set of criteria based on Key Performance Outcomes provided by Arts Queensland and the locally determined Arts and Cultural Development Policy.
Arts Queensland 2018-19 objectives
RADF supports arts and cultural activities that:
- provide public value for Queensland communities
- build local cultural capacity, cultural innovation and community pride
- deliver Queensland Government’s objectives for the community
Out of round applications are open all year round.
- Small arts grant - grants of up to $500 for artists to access a wide range of resources to support their arts practice, such as: art materials, a catalogue, etc. (purchase of capital items is ineligible)
- Individual Professional Development- is a travel grant that provides local artists with funds for attending professional development opportunities. Grants are capped at $1,000 for travel within Queensland and up to $1,500 for interstate travel.
- ECOarts grants support applications between $500 and $1,500 towards the development of projects that focus on environmentally-based arts and cultural practice, highlighting a sustainability challenge or celebrating our unique local biodiversity. Outcomes may be presented at the Cairns ECOfiesta, held on the last Sunday in May each year. The ECOarts grant will be offered ONCE per year. Applicants are encouraged to contact Council's Sustainability team to discuss your concept before preparing your application ( PDF, 1.33 MB ) - Sustainability@cairns.qld.gov.au
There are two RADF funding rounds annually.
Round one is now open and closes at 5pm, Friday 16 November 2018.
Applicants applying to Cairns RADF major rounds are able to apply for up to $10,000 towards their arts and cultural activities.
The Cairns Regional Council major grant round is broad and encompassing and include all arts streams. This category offers support towards projects and programs that create vibrant arts and cultural experiences, including, but not limited to:
- performances and exhibitions
- increased skills and professional development opportunities for artists
- new works that extend artists and art forms
- community arts and cultural development
- initiatives that strengthen cultural tourism
- enhanced cultural programs
Who can apply for a RADF grant?
- Individual professional artists, emerging professional artists, artsworkers, cultural workers or project coordinators
- Collective/Artist Run Initiative/Group: (non-incorporated) must be auspiced by an incorporated organisation, or an individual with an ABN.
- Incorporated arts and cultural organisations.
Preparing your application
It is essential that you discuss your project with Council's RADF Liaison Officer or a RADF Committee Member PRIOR TO submitting your application. Contact (07) 4032 6650 or by email email@example.com
Submitting your application
Preferred method: Email application and all attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on the closing date. A reply email will be sent to you on the next business day after the closing date, informing the receipt of your application.
Alternative methods: Mail a printed copy of the application form and all attachments to (postmarked with or before due date);
The RADF Liaison Officer
Cairns Regional Council
PO Box 359
Cairns Qld 4870
Hand deliver to:
Cairns Regional Council Chambers – Customer Service Desk
119-145 Spence Street, by 4.30pm on the closing date.
Applicants are advised to download and save the form, rather than working on it within an internet browser.
Please be aware there have been some reported issues with these forms.
Should you encounter any problems please email email@example.com