Work experience applications are now closed for the year and will reopen in mid-January 2021.
As a major employer in the Cairns region, Council recognises the value of students gaining practical, meaningful work experience in a large and diverse organisation.
Students undertaking studies at secondary school, TAFE or university can apply to undertake work experience. Participants gain an insight into local government and on-the-job experience linked to their course requirements or school career program.
We are committed to providing work experience whenever possible however not all requests can be accepted. Placements are subject to Council’s operational requirements and availability of resources to provide effective on-the-job experience, as well as workplace health and safety requirements, special licensing requirements and demand for placements.
Council offers work experience within various disciplines, including but not limited to:
- Customer Service
- Event management
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Marketing and Communications
Eligibility for work experience
To be eligible to undertake work experience at Council, you must be:
- at least 15 years of age
- enrolled with an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) recognised higher education, vocational education and training (VET), or school. (Note: placements for tertiary students will only be considered where it is a course requirement.)
- covered by personal accident and public liability insurance (through your school, university, TAFE or registered training organisation).
- an Australian or New Zealand citizen, permanent resident of Australia or have an entitlement to work visa
Depending on the type of work experience, some compulsory minimum qualifications or requirements may apply before placement. These may include a general construction safety (white) card or supply of own personal protective equipment (PPE).
General placement information
All work experience placements are unpaid and voluntary.
The maximum duration for a placement depends on the type of work experience program and Council’s ability to accommodate the request within operational requirements. Example:
- Work experience - 1 day per week for 5 weeks or 1 week of full time placement.
- TAFE and University placements - 1 day per week for 2 semesters.