Book a public space

Many Cairns parks, reserves and beaches are popular locations for events and activities, such as weddings, celebrations and parties. Those wishing to use these areas need permission from Council. Some of our most popular locations are:

  • Beaches and Foreshores located from Ellis Beach to Bramston Beach for weddings and activities
  • Bill Wakeham Park, Babinda
  • Alley Park, Gordonvale
  • Petersen Park, Edmonton
  • Johnson Park, Gordonvale
  • Goomboora Park, Brinsmead
  • Glenoma Park, Brinsmead

If you would to hold an event or activity at these parks/reserves, or another area within the Cairns region, please complete a Park, reserve and foreshore booking form.

Guidelines for holding special events

Here are some of the requirements and issues you will need to consider when applying to hold an event at one of our locations. If you have any questions please contact Council on 1300 69 22 47.

  • Procedure/processing time for applications - written applications are to be submitted a minimum of two weeks prior to the event.
  • Fee structure - fees may be charged and are dependent on the event.
  • Hours of operation for holding a special event - dependent on venue and function.
  • Bond/deposit - is usually required but is dependent on the event (e.g. potential ground damage)
  • Insurance requirements - you will need public liability insurance of $20,000,000 with Cairns Regional Council to be noted on policy as an interested party.
  • Capacity limitations - dependent on venue and function.
  • Hours for set-up and clean-up - to be negotiated with Council upon application.
  • Vehicle access - prior permission is required for vehicles to drive onsite.  You will need to include the number of vehicles in your application.
  • Parking facilities - variable.
  • Erection of structure - only temporary structures will be permitted with details to be submitted to Council.
  • Alcohol consumption - alcohol may be consumed at venues but this is subject to State licensing requirements.
  • Special effects (e.g. fireworks, lasers) - special effects are permitted subject to appropriate approvals (contact Council's Health Department on 1300 69 22 47).
  • Access to power and water - available (cost for use charged to the hirer).
  • Access to existing amenities - access to existing amenities is variable and needs to be confirmed with Council.
  • Amplified music - will be considered as part of the application for approval process.
  • Noise levels - not to exceed State and Local Government requirements. Contact Council's Compliance Unit on 1300 69 22 47.
  • Food requirements - contact Council's Compliance Unit on 1300 69 22 47.
  • Waste management and clean-up requirements - to be arranged by the event organiser though appropriate waste contractor.
  • Additional comments/requirements: for bookings please contact Council on 1300 69 22 47.
Last updated: 24 August 2018