Lagoon closed due to COVID-19
Due to the unique and complex circumstances surrounding COVID-19 (Coronavirus), the Lagoon and facilities along Cairns Esplanade are now closed until further notice.
These facilities include:
- Muddy’s Playground (wet and dry playground)
- Fun Ship Playground
- Healing Garden Playground
- Bouldering Park
- Skate Park, Beach Volleyball courts/multi use sports facilities/basketball courts
- Green Gym Fitness Stations
The boardwalks and shared paths are still open but please practice 1.5m social distancing measures. The toilet facilities will remain open.
Please note The Esplanade Lagoon & amenities building will be closed for 3 weeks, from 9 June to 29 June 2020, for maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
The maintenance program includes:
- Detailed survey of render faults and required rectification
- Repairs to subsidence related concrete damage
- Sand replenishment
- Amenities building repairs and repaint
- Pipe work/pump repairs and valve overhauls
- Clean out of Balance and Backwash Tanks
- Cleaning and polishing of The Fish structures
- General signage renewal around Lagoon
- Lagoon timber deck repairs and treating
- Scheduled repairs to change rooms
Alternative public toilets are located at Fogarty Park.
- Thursday to Tuesday 6.00am to 9.00pm
- Wednesday 12.00pm to 9.00pm (closed for weekly maintenance until midday)
- Public holidays 6.00am to 9.00pm
Entry to the Lagoon is free. Toilet and shower facilities are located in the amenities block beside the Lagoon.
Lifeguards are on duty while the Lagoon is open. Wheelchair access to the Lagoon is available. For assistance please ask the Lifeguards.
The Lagoon is a 4800sqm salt water swimming facility that offers an all-year round, safe, swimming location without stingers and crocodiles. The Lagoon is filled with salt water from the Trinity Inlet which is filtered through a state-of-the-art filtration system.