Following the easing of restrictions related to coronavirus (COVID-19) Council has opened the following facilities on the Cairns Esplanade.
- Public toilets
- Muddy’s Playground (wet and dry playground)
- Fun Ship Playground
- Healing Garden Playground
- Bouldering Park
- Multi-purpose court
- Skate Park
- Volleyball courts
- Petanque court
- Green Gym Fitness Stations
Social distancing rules apply: maintain 1.5m from other people as much as practical; do not gather in groups of more than 10 people.
Cairns Esplanade Lagoon maintenance to begin Friday 1 May 2020
Due to the unique circumstances surrounding the COVID-19, we are bringing forward our scheduled maintenance works.
The Cairns Esplanade Lagoon and amenities building will be closed from Friday 1 May 2020 for 6-8 weeks, as part of our biennial maintenance program.
The maintenance program includes:
- Detailed survey of render faults and required rectification
- Repairs to subsidence related concrete damage
- Sand replenishment
- Amenities building repairs and repaint
- Pipe work/pump repairs and valve overhauls
- Clean out of Balance and Backwash Tanks
- Cleaning and polishing of The Fish structures
- General signage renewal around Lagoon
- Lagoon timber deck repairs and treating
- Scheduled repairs to change rooms
Alternative public toilets are located at Fogarty Park.
- Thursday to Tuesday 6.00am to 9.00pm
- Wednesday 12.00pm to 9.00pm (closed for weekly maintenance until midday)
- Public holidays 6.00am to 9.00pm
Entry to the Lagoon is free. Toilet and shower facilities are located in the amenities block beside the Lagoon.
Lifeguards are on duty while the Lagoon is open. Wheelchair access to the Lagoon is available. For assistance please ask the Lifeguards.
The Lagoon is a 4800sqm salt water swimming facility that offers an all-year round, safe, swimming location without stingers and crocodiles. The Lagoon is filled with salt water from the Trinity Inlet which is filtered through a state-of-the-art filtration system.