2020 Local Government elections
The Queensland quadrennial local government election will be held on 28 March 2020. The information contained on our website about the Mayor and Councillors is current as at 22 February 2020 (the date on which notice of the election was given), and will be updated once the Electoral Commission of Queensland has declared the election results.
Useful information for voters and candidates:
- election signage rules for Cairns local government area ( PDF, 0.26 MB )
- information for potential candidates
- Electoral Commission of Queensland - to enrol or check your enrolment details, find your division, polling locations and dates, and more.
The Councillors represent nine divisions, and each Councillor is elected by eligible voters in each division. The Mayoralty is decided on a majority popular vote across the entire local government area which has 99,479 enrolled voters (as at March 2016). Queensland local government elections are held every four years, with the next election scheduled for 28 March 2020.
- Read more about the divisions and Councillors below.
- Read information for potential Councillors to learn more about the Local Government Act and guidelines
Find your Division
You can find your Division by checking the interactive map on the Electoral Commission of Queensland website. Simply type your address into the interactive map to find out your Cairns Regional Council Division.
Map of Divisions
Hover over a Division to see the elected representative for that area, then follow the link to read more about them.