Public access areas available for special events
Council will give consideration to the use of the following public areas:
- Beaches and Foreshores located from Ellis Beach to Bramston Beach for weddings and activities
- Bill Wakeham Park located in Babinda
- Alley Park located in Gordonvale
- Petersen Park located in Edmonton
- Johnson Park located in Gordonvale
- Goomboora Park located in Brinsmead
- Glenoma Park located in Brinsmead
- others, as requested.
Guidelines for holding special events
Following is a guideline of general procedures and restrictions that apply. If you have any queries regarding the following information, please contact Council.
- Procedure/processing time for applications - written applications are to be submitted a minimum of two weeks prior to the event.
- Fee structure - Fees may be charged and are dependent on the event.
- Hours of operation for holding a special event - dependent on venue and function.
- Bond/deposit required - is usually required but is dependent on the event (e.g. potential ground damage)
- Insurance requirements - Yes - Public Liability cover: $20,000,000 with Cairns Regional Council to be noted on policy as an interested party.
- Capacity limitations - dependent on venue and function.
- Hours for set-up and clean-up - To be negotiated with Council upon application.
- Vehicle access - Prior permission required for vehicles to drive onsite. Number of vehicles to be included in application.
- Parking facilities - variable.
- Erection of structure - only temporary structures permitted with details to be submitted to Council.
- Alcohol consumption - alcohol may be consumed at venues but this is subject to State licensing requirements.
- Special effects (e.g. fireworks, lasers) - Special effects are permitted subject to appropriate approvals (Contact Health Dept on 4044 3044).
- Access to power and water - available (cost for use charged to the hirer).
- Access to existing amenities - access to existing amenities is variable and needs to be confirmed with Council.
- Amplified music - will be considered as part of the application for approval process.
- Noise levels - not to exceed State and Local Government requirements. Contact Council's Compliance Unit on 4044 3044.
- Food requirements - Contact Council's Compliance Unit on 4044 3044.
- Waste management and clean-up requirements - to be arranged by event organiser. Contact waste contractors.
- Additional comments/requirements: for bookings please contact Council on 4044 3044.