The Cairns RADF program is currently closed and will re-open for applications on 30 January 2017.
The Regional Arts Development Fund (RADF) is delivered as a partnership between the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland and eligible local councils across the state.
RADF promotes the role and value of arts, culture and heritage as key drivers of diverse and inclusive communities and strong regions. RADF invests in local arts and cultural priorities, as determined by local communities, across Queensland.
RADF is a flexible fund, enabling local councils to tailor RADF programs to suit the needs of their communities.
Cairns Regional Council offers out-of-round grants and two funding rounds each year. Council's RADF Committee provides recommendations and contributes to the ongoing implementation of the program.
Applications are assessed by a publicly elected committee against a set of criteria based on Key Performance Outcomes provided by Arts Queensland and the locally determined Arts and Cultural Development Policy.
Arts Queensland 2016-17 objectives
RADF supports arts and cultural activities that:
- provide public value for Queensland communities
- build local cultural capacity, cultural innovation and community pride
- deliver Queensland Government’s objectives for the community
Please note: the Cairns RADF program is currently closed and will re-open Monday 30 January 2017.
Applications for the below out-of-round grants will be accepted after 30 January 2017.
Out of round applications: have a simple application process and a quick-turn-around process:
- Small arts grant – grants of up to $500 for artists to access a wide range of resources to support their arts practice, such as: art materials, a catalogue, etc. (purchase of capital items is ineligible
- Leg Up grants for Young Creative’s - (ages 17 – 25) offer grants for this minority group to develop projects within our region, as well as further afield. These grants are capped at $500.
- Individual professional development - is a travel grant that provides local artists with funds to attend professional development opportunities. Grants are capped at $1,000 for travel within Queensland and up to $1,500 for interstate travel. Assistance is available for up to 65 per cent of the total costs of the project.
- ECOarts grants between $500 and $1,500 are provided towards environmentally-based arts projects which highlight a sustainability challenge or celebrate our unique local biodiversity. Applications close on the 28th November 2016. Outcomes may be presented as a part of the Cairns ECOfiesta in late May 2017. Applicants are highly encouraged to contact Council's Sustainability team before preparing an application - email@example.com
There are two RADF funding rounds in 2016-17.
Round One has closed.
Round Two: will close on May 22 for projects starting after July 3 2017. Applicants applying to Round 2 2016-17 are able to apply for up to $10,000.
The Cairns Regional Council major grant round is broad and encompassing and include all arts streams. This category offers support towards projects and programs that create vibrant arts and cultural experiences, including, but not limited to:
- performances and exhibitions
- increased skills and professional development opportunities for artists
- new works that extend artists and art forms
- community arts and cultural development
- initiatives that strengthen cultural tourism
- enhanced cultural programs
Who can apply for a RADF grant?
- Individual professional artists, emerging professional artists, artsworkers, cultural workers or project coordinators
- Collective/Artist Run Initiative/Group: (non-incorporated) must be auspiced by an incorporated organisation, or an individual with an ABN.
- Incorporated arts and cultural organisations.
Preparing your application
It is essential that you discuss your project with Council's RADF Liaison Officer or a RADF Committee Member PRIOR TO submitting your application. Contact Lucy Hart by phone 4032 6644 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Submitting your application
Preferred method: Email application and all attachments to email@example.com by 5 pm on the closing date. A reply email will be sent to you on the next business day after the closing date, informing the receipt of your application.
Alternative methods: Mail a printed copy of the application form and all attachments to (postmarked with or before due date);
The RADF Liaison Officer
Cairns Regional Council
PO Box 359
Cairns Qld 4870
Hand deliver to:
Cairns Regional Council Chambers – Customer Service Desk
119-145 Spence Street, by 4.30pm on the closing date.