"Locals helping locals"
The annual Mayor's Christmas Cheer Appeal raises funds to buy food hampers for local families and older members of our community who need a helping hand to help make their Christmas festive. In these unprecedented COVID-19 times we need your support more than ever for the vulnerable in our community.
Your generous contribution will help to spread some Christmas joy to those in our community who need it the most this year.
You can donate online by credit card (MasterCard or Visa) at Council's BPoint payment site or by clicking the one of the "Donate" buttons. You can either donate $65 to buy a family a hamper, donate $35 to buy a senior a hamper, or select your own donation amount.
You can also make a donation:
- over the counter with cash, credit card, cheque or money order at Council's customer service offices
- by posting a cheque or money order to Council at PO Box 359 Cairns QLD 4870. All cheques should be made to the Mayor's Christmas Cheer Appeal
Please note that NO FOOD OR TOYS can be accepted for the Mayor's Christmas Cheer Appeal.
Note: Any donations received after 1 December each year will be added to the following year's Mayor's Christmas Cheer Appeal target.
The 2020 Mayor's Christmas Cheer Appeal would not be possible this year without the generous in-kind support of our Cairns partners. With much appreciation we would like to recognise the following businesses:
5 STAR CHEFS FOR CHARITY DINNER - SOLD OUT
Cairns' own 5 star hotels have come together for the inaugural 5-Star Chefs for Charity event to raise funds for the annual Mayor's Christmas Cheer Appeal. The culinary expertise of head chefs from Hilton Cairns, Pullman Cairns International, Shangri-La and the Pullman Reef Casino will be plated and presented as part of the four-course dinner event on Saturday 7 November at the Hilton Cairns. Every dollar from ticket sales will be donated to the Cheer Appeal as all services and products have been generously supplied by each hotel as an in-kind donation.
Special thanks to:
Thank you to the following 2019 donors for their significant support of the Mayor's Christmas Cheer Appeal.
Applying for a hamper
Council works with local charities and organisations to identify residents who are in need of some assistance at Christmas time. Please do not apply directly to Cairns Regional Council. Confidential applications are taken by the following community support agencies:
- Access Community Housing (Manunda) 4031 6702
- Act for Kids (Bungalow) 4033 8500
- Anglicare HomeStay Support Service (Parramatta Park) 4046 8070
- Anglicare Cairns Homeless Service Hub (Cairns) 4046 8050
- Anglicare Mental Health Carer Respite Service (Cairns) 4046 8058
- Australian Red Cross (Cairns North) 0414 657 035
- Benevolent Society - Cairns Early Years Centre (Bentley Park) 4034 6800
- Carers Queensland Ltd (Cairns North) 4031 0163
- Marlin Coast Neighbourhood Centre (Trinity Park) 4055 6440
- MaraWay Community Hub (Manunda) 4040 2099
- Mookai Rosie Bi-Bayan (Edmonton) 4081 7500
- Ruth's Womens Shelter (Manunda) 0419 201 554
- Shelter Housing Action Cairns (Parramatta Park) 4080 7433
- St Vincent De Paul Society QLD - HomeStay Program (Cairns) 4040 6169
- Stride (Cairns) 0422 635 506
- The Salvation Army (Manunda) 4051 2454
- Uniting Care (Bungalow) 0407 621 130
- Warringu ATSI Corp (Cairns) 4033 1900
- Women's Centre FNQ (Bungalow) 4051 9366
- Wuchopperen Health Service (Manunda) 4080 1000