International Women's Day is celebrated across the world on 8 March each year.
The purpose of the day is to recognise women and their achievements regardless of nationality, ethnicity or cultural, political or economic background. See the previous winners of this award.
In 2018 Council established a scholarship with the purpose of encouraging women to achieve an important goal and to support their valuable contribution to our community. See the previous winners of the scholarship award.
Each year, Council hosts a breakfast to celebrate women who have made an outstanding contribution to our community by presenting three award categories; Woman of the Year, Young Woman of the Year and a Scholarship award. The winner's achievements can be social, economic, cultural and/or political.
International Women's Day has been occurring for well over a century and grows from strength to strength. In 2020 the mantra is "an equal world is an enabled world", where we celebrate women and in particular women of all ethnicities.
International Women's Day Breakfast & Awards Presentation
Cairns Regional Council’s International Women’s Day Breakfast celebrates women who have made an outstanding contribution to our community.
You will hear from inspiring speakers including key note speaker Professor Hurriyet Babacan (author, awarded an Order of Australia and Bi-Centenary Medal), and Roz Pulley (journalist and 2019 Woman of the Year Winner).
Ticket price includes a hot breakfast, tea and coffee, live entertainment, and prizes to be won!
The 2020 Woman and Young Woman of the Year Awards will be announced at the breakfast, along with the announcement of the Scholarship to a woman in our community.
- When: Friday 6 March 2020
- Time: 7:30am - 9:30am (doors open at 7:00am).
- Where: Cairns Convention Centre
- Cost: $42 (includes ticketing fee). Discount when purchasing a table of 10. Tickets are available shortly, book at Ticketlink or phone 1300 855 835.
2020 Woman of the Year Award
The Woman of the Year Awards recognises women who have demonstrated courage and/or have made an outstanding contribution to the lives of women and girls in the Cairns Regional Council area.
- Woman of the Year
- Young Woman of the Year (nominees must be aged under 25 as at 1 January 2020)
2020 International Women's Day Scholarship
Council has established a $2,000 Scholarship with the purpose of encouraging women to achieve an important goal and to support their valuable contribution to our community.
To be eligible:
- Women must be actively pursuing a goal and/or making a contribution to women in the Cairns Community
- The grant should be made to support the recipients education, awarded on the basis of academic or other achievement
To nominate a Woman/Young Woman of the Year, or nominate/self-nominate for the scholarship, complete the nomination form via one of the options below and submit by Monday 24 February 2020.
- Complete the Scholarship online nomination form or Woman/Young Woman of the Year online nomination form
- OR download the International Women's Day Nomination Form ( PDF, 1.4 MB ) and submit to:
- RSVP@cairns.qld.gov.au or ;
- Post to Cairns Regional Council Woman of the Year Award, PO Box 359, Cairns Qld 4870
2019 Major Sponsor
2019 Media Sponsor
2019 Print sponsor
Become an International Women's Day sponsor!
By getting behind the International Women's Day, you will be directly contributing to the well being of our community and the liveability of our city. Investing in this event will help you reach local target markets and showcase your products and services.
Download a sponsorship prospectus ( PDF, 7.55 MB ) or contact Raine Davies, Coordinator Event Delivery on 07 4044 3261 or firstname.lastname@example.org