ANZAC Day is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand, originally commemorated by both countries on 25 April every year to honour the members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli in the Ottoman Empire during World War I. It now more broadly commemorates all those who served and died in military operations for their countries.
ANZAC Day is the day we remember all Australians who served and died in all wars, conflicts and peacekeeping operations. The spirit of ANZAC, with its human qualities of courage, mateship, and sacrifice, continues to have meaning and relevance for our sense of national identity.
Local ANZAC Day events
Events will be held across the Cairns region to recognise the spirit of ANZAC and remember those who served and died in all wars, conflicts and peacekeeping operations.
A number of temporary road closures will be in effect to allow for these services to take place.
For more information contact Raine Davies, Coordinator Event Delivery on 07 4044 3261 or email@example.com.
Busy events can be quite stressful for your animal. Please consider the wellbeing of your pet and other event attendees and please keep your pet at home during busy events.
The Dawn Service will commence at the Cenotaph on the Cairns Esplanade at 5.30 am.
* NOTE: The March will step off from Fogarty Park at an earlier time of 07.30 am. The parade will travel north along the Esplanade to Florence Street.
The Commemoration Service will begin after the arrival of the March (approx. 08.15am) at the Cenotaph, the Esplanade.
Ecumenical Church Service
Cairns Ecumenical Service will be held in St Monica's Cathedral commencing at 9.30am.
*Esplanade from Spence Street to Florence streets - 3am to noon
*Florence Street from the Esplanade to Abbott Street - 9am to noon
For more information, please contact Raine Davies Ph. 0459 999 113.
- 4:00am Parade assemble at the RSL Memorial Hall
- 4:20am Parade falls in
- 4:25am Commemorative march to ANZAC Park (cenotaph) followed by service and wreath laying
- 9:45am Parade assembles at RSL Memorial Hall
- 10:00am Commemorative march to ANZAC Park (cenotaph) followed by service and wreath laying
Road closures - 9:45am to 10:30am
- School Street from Church Street to Munro Street
- Munro Street from School Street to Knowles Street
For more information, please contact Max Luxton Ph. 4067 6162.
- 4:10am Commemorative March (assemble on Anderson Street entrance)
- 4:28am Service begins at the War graves, Martyn Street Cemetery
For more information, please contact Peter Sterling Ph. 0432 124 519.
- 5:15am Dawn parade at Fuller Park (cenotaph) followed by service/wreath laying
- 5:28am Bugler sounds long "G" with service and wreath laying to follow at Fuller Park (cenotaph)
- Breakfast for guests, service, ex-service, and RSL members to follow at Fullers Sports Club
- 7:45am Parade assembles outside the Hambledon Hotel
- 8:00am Parade falls in
- 8:15am Commemorative march with service and wreath laying to follow at Fuller Park (cenotaph)
Road closures - 7:30am to 10:30am
- Bruce Highway from Service Road, Stoke Street to Cattle Street
- Cattle Street from Stoke Street to Wolff Street
- Wolff Street from Cattle Street to Fuller Park
- Part closure of Stoke Street
For more information, please contact Annemarie Butterworth Ph. 0431 352 922.
- 3:30am Gunfire breakfast at Gordonvale RSL Annex (next to the tennis court in Norman Park)
- 4:00am Parade assembles on Gordon Street
- 4:27am Dawn Service begins at Norman Park cenotaph followed by service and wreath laying
- 6:00am Breakfast for guests, service, ex-service, and RSL members at Norman Park
- 9:00am Parade assembles at Gordonvale State Primary School on George Street
- 9:30am Commemorative march to Norman Park (cenotaph) followed by service and wreath laying
- Morning tea will be available for guests, service, ex-service, and RSL members following the service in Norman Park
Road closures - 9am to 11am
- Gordon Street from Mills Street to Norman Street
- Norman Street from Gordon Street to Cannon Street
- Cannon Street from Norman Street to George Street
- George Street from Cannon Street to Sheppards Street
For more information, please contact Wayne Maitland Ph. 0448 431 304.
- 9:45am Parade assemble on Magazine Street
- 10:00am Commemorative march to Stratford Cenotaph, followed by service and wreath laying
- Refreshments will be available for guests, service, ex-service, and RSL members following the service at the Stratford Bowling Club
Road closures - 9:30am to 12:00pm
- Magazine Street
For more information, please contact Ian Saunders Ph. 0414 274 186.
- 5:30am Parade assemble adjacent to the memorial
- 5:45am Catafalque Party take post followed by service and wreath laying
Road closures - 5am to 8am
- Vasey Esplanade from Trinity Beach Road to Possum Street
A Rotary Club Van will be serving breakfast on the Esplanade from 5:00am
For more information, please contact Cr Brett Olds Ph. 0477 990 263.
- 8:30am Commemorative service at the Boat Club Marina
For more information, please contact Neville Duncan Ph. 0408 635 786.