Cairns Esplanade - Road Improvement Works
- Type of work: Minor Road Works
- Suburb: Cairns City
- Work period (anticipated): 12:00am 27/04/2020 to 12:00am 01/06/2020
- Description: Kerb & channelling, drainage improvements, road pavement rehabilitation, asphalt overlay and line marking
- Likely impacts: Noise; Dust; Odours; Property Access; Traffic Control; Road Closure
- Location: The Esplanade (McKenzie St to Charles St)
- Status: Open
The Cairns Esplanade, from Charles Street to McKenzie Street, is currently closed to northbound traffic. Southbound traffic is still permitted to use this route. This closure will remain in place until weather conditions improve to allow works to be reopened.
- MONDAY 18 MAY and TUESDAY 19 MAY: Cairns Esplanade / McKenzie St intersection will be closed. This closure is required for the installation of kerb and channel and road pavement rehabilitation. A detour will be in place diverting local traffic via Smith Street and Charles Street.
- MONDAY 25 MAY and TUESDAY 26 MAY: Cairns Esplanade / McKenzie St intersection will be closed. This closure is required for asphalt overlay activities. A detour will be in place diverting local traffic via Smith Street and Charles Street.
Cairns Regional Council wishes to advise that road improvement works are programmed for The Esplanade (Charles Street to McKenzie Street) from MONDAY 27 APRIL 2020, weather permitting.
Type of work:
- replacement of kerb and channelling on the western side of The Esplanade, from property no. 219 north to McKenzie Street;
- replacement of sections of kerb and channelling on the eastern side of The Esplanade;
- drainage improvements;
- Road pavement rehabilitation of traffic lanes; and
- Asphalt overlay of traffic lanes and road shoulders, and associated line marking.
Duration of works:
- Approx. 5 weeks to complete
This work will be carried out for the above period however if weather conditions are unsuitable, the works will be reprogrammed.
Traffic delays may be experienced and car parking will be temporarily unavailable. There may also be temporary disruptions to property access.
During pavement rehabilitation works, a temporary road closure of The Esplanade, between McKenzie and Charles Street, will be required, with a detour via Lake Street.
Asphalt works will require the McKenzie Street intersection to be temporarily closed at Lake Street with a detour in place for The Esplanade via Smith Street and Charles Street.
Line marking will be managed under traffic control. This activity may also be undertaken as night works.
To ensure works can be carried out as scheduled, businesses and residents are asked not to leave vehicles parked in the street during the time of scheduled work.
Please observe and obey traffic controllers and signs advising the changes to normal traffic conditions. Council appreciates your patience and cooperation during this time.
If you would like further information about these works, please call Council on (07) 4044 3326 or email email@example.com.