Lighting upgrade - Shields St
- Type of work: Lighting & Traffic Signals
- Suburb: Cairns city
- Work period (anticipated): 12:00am 27/07/2020 to 12:00am 06/11/2020
- Description: Street lighting and centre median lighting works between McLeod St and Abbott St
- Likely impacts: Noise; Dust; Property Access; Traffic Control
- Location: Shields St (McLeod St to Abbott St)
- Status: Open
The following night works are required for lighting upgrade works underway in Shields Street (weather permitting):
- From SUNDAY EVENING, 6 SEPTEMBER UNTIL FRIDAY EVENING, 25 SEPTEMBER 2020: light pole foundations, electrical and communication pits, and horizontal drilling works within the Grafton to Sheridan St section. Replacement of light pole outreach arms within the Sheridan to McLeod St section.
- From SUNDAY EVENING, 11 OCTOBER UNTIL FRIDAY EVENING, 6 NOVEMBER: Construction of switchboard, installation of electrical cables, light poles, outreach arms and luminaires, and replacement of light pole outreach arms within the Grafton to Sheridan St section. Installation of luminaires and light pole outreach arms within the Sheridan to McLeod St section.
During works, temporary road closures will be required over night between the hours of 11pm and 5am within the Grafton to Sheridan St section, and from 9pm until 5am within the Sheridan to McLeod St section. Parking disruptions, noise and dust are also expected however Council will keep disruptions to a minimum wherever possible.
Please observe and obey traffic controllers and signs advising the changes to normal traffic conditions.
- From MONDAY 7 SEPTEMBER UNTIL 20 SEPTEMBER 2020: Civil works associated with the installation of feature bud lighting within the garden beds of the Grafton Street to Abbott Street section will be undertaken between the hours of 7am and 5pm.
Council appreciates your patience and cooperation during this time.
The following lighting upgrade works will be undertaken in Shields Street:
- Removal of light poles and replacement with new poles/luminaires between Grafton St and McLeod St;
- Removal of light poles and replacement with new poles/luminaires at the following intersections: (1) McLeod/Shields, (2) Sheridan/Shields, (3) Grafton/Shields;
- Installation of switchboard boxes within centre medians between Grafton St and McLeod St;
- Bud lighting of suitable trees within the centre medians between Abbott St and McLeod St; and
- Removal of old heritage-style light poles from the footpath between Grafton St and McLeod St.
Lighting upgrade works will start in the Sheridan St to McLeod St section first from Monday 27 July 2020.
Lane closures and pedestrian detours may be required during the works program.
Car parking bays within Shields St and on the Sheridan St and McLeod St approaches of Shields St will have to be temporarily closed to allow enough room for traffic movements. These car parks will be reopened when it is safe to do so.
Night works (6pm to 6am) will be required for some components of this work (eg. standing of light poles).
Council appreciates your patience and cooperation during this time. For further information, please email email@example.com.
(Please note that footpath and kerbing works are also underway in the Grafton St to Sheridan St section of Shields St)