Lighting upgrade - Shields St
- Type of work: Lighting & Traffic Signals
- Suburb: Cairns city
- Work period (anticipated): 12:00am 27/07/2020 to 12:00am 09/09/2020
- Description: Street lighting and centre median lighting works between McLeod St and Abbott St
- Likely impacts: Noise; Dust; Property Access; Traffic Control
- Location: Shields St (McLeod St to Abbott St)
- Status: Open
Works have been delayed and will now commence in the McLeod St to Sheridan St section from Monday 3 August 2020.
The following lighting upgrade works will be undertaken in Shields Street:
- Removal of light poles and replacement with new poles/luminaires between Grafton St and McLeod St;
- Removal of light poles and replacement with new poles/luminaires at the following intersections: (1) McLeod/Shields, (2) Sheridan/Shields, (3) Grafton/Shields;
- Installation of switchboard boxes within centre medians between Grafton St and McLeod St;
- Bud lighting of suitable trees within the centre medians between Abbott St and McLeod St; and
- Removal of old heritage-style light poles from the footpath between Grafton St and McLeod St.
Lighting upgrade works will start in the Sheridan St to McLeod St section first from Monday 27 July 2020.
Lane closures and pedestrian detours may be required during the works program.
Car parking bays within Shields St and on the Sheridan St and McLeod St approaches of Shields St will have to be temporarily closed to allow enough room for traffic movements. These car parks will be reopened when it is safe to do so.
Night works (6pm to 6am) will be required for some components of this work (eg. standing of light poles).
Council appreciates your patience and cooperation during this time. For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Please note that footpath and kerbing works are also underway in the Grafton St to Sheridan St section of Shields St)