Shields St footpath upgrade
- Type of work: Footpath & Cycleway Works
- Suburb: Cairns city
- Work period (anticipated): 12:00am 25/05/2020 to 12:00am 30/09/2020
- Description: Old pavers will be replaced with exposed aggregate concrete
- Likely impacts: Noise; Dust; Property Access; Traffic Control
- Location: Shields Street (Sheridan St to Grafton St)
- Status: Open
Night works between the hours of 10pm to 7am will be required on the corner of Sheridan St and Shields St (ie. Jimmy’s Burgers) for approximately two weeks.
The following footpath upgrade works are underway or being programmed to commence on Shields Street (between Sheridan St and Grafton St):
- northern side between Jimmy's Burgers and Arigato Mate - involves kerb and channel removal and replacement near Jimmy's Burgers, and footpath works outside Bon Chicken & Beer to Arigato Mate - practically complete;
- northern side around the Jimmy's Burgers corner - practically complete;
- southern side between the Crown Hotel and McGinty's Irish Bar - practically complete;
- renewal of kerbing around the Crown Hotel corner (Grafton/Shields) and the Suan Suan corner (Sheridan/Shields) - practically complete;
- renewal of kerbing and footpath renewal around the Pro Dive corner (Grafton/Shields) - underway.
This work involves the removal of the old pavers and replacement with exposed aggregate concrete, and removal and replacement of kerbing (if required).
Car parking will be temporarily closed during works to provide adequate workspace for the construction crew and to accommodate pedestrian detours.
Working hours will be Mondays to Fridays from 7am to 6pm however week-end, early mornings and night works will also be required.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation during the works program.
(Please note that street lighting upgrade works will also be underway in the McLeod St to Abbott St section of Shields St)