Esplanade lagoon closure
- Type of work: Parks & Playgrounds
- Suburb: Cairns city
- Work period (anticipated): 12:00am 01/05/2020 to 12:00am 12/06/2020
- Description: Esplanade lagoon closed for biennial maintenance works
- Likely impacts: Noise
- Location: Cairns Esplanade lagoon and surrounding parklands
- Status: Open
Cairns Esplanade lagoon maintenance works will begin in May 2020.
Due to COVID-19, the Esplanade lagoon is presently closed, and as such our biennial scheduled maintenance works (and associated lagoon closure period) are being brought forward.
During this time, the lagoon and the amenities building will be closed from FRIDAY 1 MAY 2020 for an estimated 6 to 8 weeks.
The lagoon needs to be emptied of water to enable maintenance of pool linings. Additional maintenance and improvements will also be carried out to the surrounding area at the same time.
The maintenance program includes:
- Detailed survey of render faults and required rectification
- Repairs to subsidence related concrete damage
- Sand replenishment
- Amenities building repairs and repainting
- Pipe work/pump repairs and valve overhauls
- Balance and backwash tank cleaning
- Cleaning and polishing of The Fish sculptures
- Public signage renewal
- Lagoon timber deck repairs and treating
- Scheduled repairs to change rooms.
During the above closure period, alternative public toilets are located at Fogarty Park.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation during the works program.