Smart Urban Irrigation Project
- Type of work: Parks & Playgrounds
- Suburb: Cairns city
- Work period (anticipated): 12:00am 04/02/2019 to 12:00am 31/05/2020
- Description: Irrigation works planned for Cairns Esplanade.
- Likely impacts: Noise; Dust
- Location: Cairns Esplanade parklands
- Status: Open
Stage 1 works of the Smart Urban Irrigation Project will start on 5 February 2019, weather permitting.
This project will use ground surveillance technology to collect data that will assist in irrigation design and programming.
Works will be carried out in several stages over 18 months. During Stage 1, a section of parkland (adjacent to The Pier) will be fenced to allow irrigation, drainage improvements and ground re-profiling to occur. As such, public access will be restricted.
Estimated dates for each stage are as follows:
- Stage 1 - February - April 2019
- Stage 2 - April - June
- Stage 3 - June - August
- Stage 4 - August - October
- Stage 5 - October - December
- Stage 6 - January - March 2020
- Stage 7 - March - May
Please refer to the plan ( PDF, 1.11 MB ) below to review locations for each stage.
During works there may be disruptions such as noise and dust; however, these will be kept to a minimum. Completion of Stage 1 is scheduled for early April and works will then progress to remaining parklands around the Lagoon area.
Council apologises for any inconvenience caused and appreciates your patience during these necessary improvement works.
Once complete, this project will allow irrigation systems to operate at their optimal best with considerable reductions in water use.
Should you require further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org