Holloways Beach rock groynes
- Suburb: Holloways Beach
- Work period (anticipated): 12:00am 15/07/2020 to 12:00am 31/12/2020
- Description: Two rock groynes are being constructed at Holloways Beach
- Likely impacts: Noise; Dust; Property Access; Traffic Control
- Location: Oleander St / Casuarina St and Pandanus St / Hibiscus Lane
- Status: Open
Two 30-metre rock groynes will be constructed at Holloways Beach to provide long-term protection of the foreshore.
Sand erosion has been an ongoing concern at Holloways Beach, with various beach nourishment campaigns initiated over the years due to ongoing sand loss along the beach. The most recent campaign, in 2016, involved pumping approximately 30,000 cubic metres of sand onto the beach at of cost of $640,000. This sand was washed away in a very short period of weeks.
Council has approved the $2 million construction of two groynes, at the end of Oleander St and Pandanus St, which will maximise the benefits of future beach nourishment programs by reducing the amount of sand being washed away.The groynes will not be located directly in front of residential properties minimising visual impacts.
Please refer to the links below for further information released during community consultation phases.
Works are expected to get underway July / August 2020. This will involve transporting rock to each location in Holloways Beach from the Redlynch Quarry. Rock haulage routes ( PDF, 2.36 MB ) can be viewed below, as well as access routes to the beach, work areas and rock stockpile sites ( PDF, 0.23 MB ). An excavator will place this delivered rock into position.
The works program will be dependent on tide levels and weather conditions however, completion of this major infrastructure improvement project is expected to be December 2020 / January 2021.
What to expect
- Increased construction vehicle traffic on local roads - view the rock haulage route ( PDF, 2.36 MB );
- Noise from construction activities and heavy machinery including unloading of rock at construction sites;
- Dust and vibration during construction activities - impacts will be monitored and minimised wherever possible;
- Temporary closures of public space (beach and foreshore where construction activities are in progress).
Working hours will vary according to suitable tides but will generally be Mondays to Saturdays between the hours of 7am and 7pm. Some Sundays may be required to take advantage of low tides.
For any enquiries
Phone: (07) 4044 3303