Streetscape upgrade – Abbott St and Spence St corner (Galleria frontage)
- Type of work: Footpath & Cycleway Works
- Suburb: Cairns city
- Work period (anticipated): 12:00am 05/08/2019 to 12:00am 11/10/2019
- Description: Streetscape upgrade works
- Likely impacts: Noise; Dust; Property Access; Traffic Control
- Location: Cnr of Abbott St and Spence St
- Status: Open
Streetscape upgrade works are programmed for Abbott Street and Spence Street from Monday 26 August 2019.
This work involves renewing the footpath on both frontages of the DFS Galleria Building at 14-16 Abbott Street, from The Cairns Post building to the Pacific Hotel Cairns, as well as renewing the kerbing from the Abbott Street corner along the Spence Street frontage.
The existing paved footpath will be replaced with an exposed aggregate concrete finish.
Some existing palm trees will be retained and some will be removed to make way for larger, irrigated landscaped garden beds. Interpretative signage, concrete stencilling and the provision for future garden bed up-lighting will also be included.
Existing footpath infrastructure, such as signs and parking ticket machines, will be reinstalled in similar locations.
As part of this upgrade there will also be improvements made to the garden bed in the centre median of Abbott Street towards the Spence Street intersection. This will involve the removal of a damaged pandanus palm and the planting of additional palms and lower planting.
Preliminary investigation and minor preparatory works for this project are to occur the week commencing 5 August 2019.
Every effort will be made to reduce disruptions during this time and we thank you for your patience and cooperation.
Other details include:
- General working hours 7am to 6pm Mondays to Saturdays however there may have to be some work components programmed outside these hours;
- Noise and dust is expected;
- Car parking bays near the work site will have to be temporarily closed to allow for pedestrian detours and work vehicles;
- The loading zone on the Spence Street side of the Galleria building will be temporarily relocated east in front of the Pacific Hotel during construction of the new footpath.
- Temporary lane closures will be required at times.
Plans and landscaping elements are available for review below.
Works are expected to take approximately 8-10 weeks to complete, weather permitting.
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.