Roadworks - Florence Street Link
- Type of work: Major Infrastructure Project
- Suburb: Cairns city
- Work period (anticipated): 12:00am 28/10/2019 to 12:00am 31/12/2020
- Description: Major road improvement project between the Esplanade and Grafton Street
- Likely impacts: Noise; Dust; Property Access; Traffic Control; Road Closure
- Location: Florence Street (between Esplanade and Grafton Street)
- Status: Open
Temporary road closures are required to allow water main trenching across traffic lanes.
Local traffic access will remain and temporary U-turn facilities will be in place.
A temporary roundabout is in place at the Abbott St / Florence St intersection.
Demolition works are due to start on the northern side of Florence St, from Abbott St to the Esplanade (alongside Double Tree Hotel) on Monday 2 December 2019. Pedestrian detours will be in place. Footpath, kerbing, electrical and irrigation works will be underway in this area into the New Year.
Thank you for your patience.
Works to relocate water mains are programmed to start in Florence Street late October 2019.
This is an early works component of the Florence Street Link project. The Florence Street Link project (from the Cairns Esplanade to Grafton Street) aims to address safety and pedestrian connection issues through the replacement of two existing roundabouts with signalised intersections. The street will also be enhanced with attractive tropical landscaping.
During construction lane closures, temporary car parking loss and pedestrian detours will be expected and we thank you for your patience and cooperation.
The majority of street trees in the area will be retained and additional trees, shrubs and other planting provided, however some tree removals of will be required. The streetscape works overall will provide a significant increase in plantings and amenity to the street. A vegetation removal plan is included on the Major Projects webpage.
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Council on (07) 4044 3303.
Water main replacement works will be staged as follows:
- Stage 1: Florence St, Esplanade to Abbott St (northern side) – approx. 3 to 5 days
- Stage 2(a): Abbott St / Florence St (north east corner) – approx. 3 days (includes road crossing) / Stage 2(b): Abbott St / Florence St (north west corner) – approx. 3 days (includes road crossing)
- Stage 3: Florence St, Abbott St to mid-block (northern side) – approx. 3 days
- Stage 4: Florence St, Abbott St intersection (east and west road crossings) – approx. 4 nights
- Stage 5: Florence St, Esplanade to Abbott St (southern side) – approx. 3 to 5 days
- Stage 6(a): Abbott St / Florence St (south west corner) – approx. 3 days (includes road crossing) / Stage 6(b): Abbott St / Florence St (south east corner) – approx. 3 days (includes road crossing)
- Stage 7: Testing – approx. 2 days
During this work, please be aware of the following:
- road closures will be required and temporary U-turn facilities will be in place;
- car parks will have to be temporarily closed within work areas and re-opened when safe to do so;
- there may be temporary access disruptions to property driveways;
- noisy works will be unavoidable and every effort will be made to reduce disruptions wherever possible.
The above timeframes are approximate only and may be subject to change.