Roadworks - Florence Street Link
- Type of work: Major Infrastructure Project
- Suburb: Cairns city
- Work period (anticipated): 12:00am 28/10/2019 to 12:00am 31/12/2020
- Description: Major road improvement project between the Esplanade and Grafton Street
- Likely impacts: Noise; Dust; Property Access; Traffic Control; Road Closure
- Location: Florence Street (between Esplanade and Grafton Street)
- Status: Open
Stage 1 works (Esplanade to Lake St section) of Florence St are estimated to be 95% complete. Stage 2 works (Grafton St to Abbott St section) are approximately 60% complete. Footpath, kerbing, electrical, irrigation, road improvements and water main replacement works are underway. Pedestrian detours are in place. Lane closures and temporary road closures may be required at times.
The Florence St / Abbott St intersection and the Florence St / Lake St intersection are both open to traffic.
Thank you for your patience.
The Florence Street Link project (from the Cairns Esplanade to Grafton Street) aims to address safety and pedestrian connection issues through the replacement of two existing roundabouts with signalised intersections. The street will also be enhanced with attractive tropical landscaping.
During construction lane closures, temporary car parking loss and pedestrian detours will be expected and we thank you for your patience and cooperation.
The majority of street trees in the area will be retained and additional trees, shrubs and other planting provided, however some tree removals of will be required. The streetscape works overall will provide a significant increase in plantings and amenity to the street. A vegetation removal plan is included on the Major Projects webpage.
For further information, please email email@example.com or call Council on (07) 4044 3303.
Water main replacement works will be staged as follows:
- Stage 1: Florence St, Esplanade to Abbott St (northern side) – approx. 3 to 5 days
- Stage 2(a): Abbott St / Florence St (north east corner) – approx. 3 days (includes road crossing) / Stage 2(b): Abbott St / Florence St (north west corner) – approx. 3 days (includes road crossing)
- Stage 3: Florence St, Abbott St to mid-block (northern side) – approx. 3 days
- Stage 4: Florence St, Abbott St intersection (east and west road crossings) – approx. 4 nights
- Stage 5: Florence St, Esplanade to Abbott St (southern side) – approx. 3 to 5 days
- Stage 6(a): Abbott St / Florence St (south west corner) – approx. 3 days (includes road crossing) / Stage 6(b): Abbott St / Florence St (south east corner) – approx. 3 days (includes road crossing)
- Stage 7: Testing – approx. 2 days
During this work, please be aware of the following:
- road closures will be required and temporary U-turn facilities will be in place;
- car parks will have to be temporarily closed within work areas and re-opened when safe to do so;
- there may be temporary access disruptions to property driveways;
- noisy works will be unavoidable and every effort will be made to reduce disruptions wherever possible.
The above timeframes are approximate only and may be subject to change.