Cairns Esplanade Dining Precinct
- Type of work: New Road / Major Road Works
- Suburb: Cairns city
- Work period (anticipated): 12:00am 01/06/2020 to 12:00am 01/06/2021
- Description: Major infrastructure improvement project for the Cairns Esplanade
- Likely impacts: Noise; Dust; Property Access; Traffic Control
- Location: Cairns Esplanade (Shields St to Aplin St) and Shields St (Esplanade to Abbott St)
- Status: Open
Redevelopment of the Esplanade Dining Precinct has been fast-tracked to limit the disruption to traders and maximise the city’s appeal once tourists return.
This project will be delivered in three stages:
- footpath construction - expected to start at the end of June 2020;
- outdoor dining area - expected to start in September 2020;
- roadway reconfigurations and landscaping - expected to start approximately February 2021.
The Esplanade Dining Precinct is a significant project that will enhance the city’s appeal and liveability. It includes improvements for the Esplanade, between Shields St and Aplin St, and for Shields Street, between Abbott Street and the Esplanade.