Proposed safety improvements - Anderson Road, Woree
- Type of work: Minor Road Works
- Suburb: Woree
- Work period (anticipated): 12:00am 15/12/2019 to 12:00am 15/01/2020
- Description: Safety improvements from Des Chambers Drive to Windarra Street
- Likely impacts: Noise; Dust; Property Access; Traffic Control
- Location: Anderson Road
- Status: Open
*Please note that the below works are on hold. It is expected that they will now occur during the December 2019 / January 2020 school holidays.
Cairns Regional Council, in consultation with St Mary’s Catholic College and St Gerard Majella Primary School, has been reviewing school travel safety around the schools.
As part of this review it has been noted that the pedestrian zebra crossing situated in front of the Coconut Holiday Resort is no longer compliant with current Australian road safety standards. Instead of removing this zebra crossing, Council proposes to re-line mark the road to reduce traffic lanes from two lanes in each direction to one lane on both sides of the road. This arrangement will then comply with current Australian road safety standards.
Council has examined traffic volumes and has determined that a one-lane traffic arrangement will be suitable for this road as all access roads leading into this section are also one traffic lane streets. As such, Council proposes to undertake the following safety improvements:
- Line mark traffic lanes from two-lanes to one-lane on both sides of the road, from Des Chambers Drive to Windarra Street;
- Reduce pedestrian zebra crossing width from 6 metres to 4 metres;
- Installation of new concrete filled islands either side of the pedestrian crossing to ensure clear sightlines for motorists;
- Dedicated cycle lanes on the side of the road; and
- Improvements to existing bus stops to make it safer for buses entering and exiting the stops.
As shown on the below plan, the new configuration will also allow additional car parking to be gained in Anderson Road which will provide benefits during the busy school drop-off and pick-up times.
To reduce disruptions, construction works are scheduled to be undertaken during the September school holiday period (Monday 23 September – Friday 4 October 2019).
During these changes, road pavement rehabilitation works are also planned for the southern side of Anderson Road.
Council appreciates your patience during these improvement works.
If you have any concerns or would like further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.