Roadworks – Abbott St (Spence St to Wharf St)
- Type of work: Minor Road Works
- Suburb: Cairns city
- Work period (anticipated): 12:00am 03/08/2020 to 12:00am 31/08/2020
- Description: Safety improvements between Spence St and Wharf St
- Likely impacts: Noise; Dust; Traffic Control
- Location: Abbott St
- Status: Open
The below safety improvement works are programmed for Abbott Street from Monday 3 August 2020:
- Re-line marking of Abbott Street to a single lane in each direction to improve safety for pedestrians using the zebra crossing between the Reef Hotel Casino and Pullman Cairns International (traffic lanes will still taper to two traffic lanes closer towards the intersection as they are currently);
- Re-line marking of parking bays;
- Renewal of existing landscape islands to accommodate new traffic and parking arrangements;
- Renewal of existing paved pathway within the road reserve; and
- New concrete filled islands either side of the pedestrian crossing to ensure clear sightlines for motorists and pedestrians.
Currently, this un-signalised, mid-block zebra pedestrian crossing does not meet Australian road safety standards as it requires pedestrians to traverse four lanes of traffic (two in each direction). This crossing is used by international tourists who may not be familiar with traffic flow in Australia, and potentially pedestrians under the influence of alcohol, often at night, therefore it has been recommended that this section of Abbott Street is converted to a single lane.
It is anticipated that once the above changes are complete, there will be no traffic impacts associated with the change.
These changes will also allow the gain of an additional 21 car parks and 5 motorbike bays.
During construction, there may be temporary disruptions such as noise and dust however, Council will minimise inconveniences wherever possible. There may also be temporary access disruptions to property driveways while works are underway.
Please observe and obey traffic controllers and signs advising the changes to normal traffic conditions.
All works are expected to take approximately 4 weeks to complete, weather permitting.
Council appreciates your patience and cooperation during this time.
For further enquiries please email email@example.com.