Tobruk Memorial Pool tile replacement
- Type of work: Major Infrastructure Project
- Suburb: Cairns North
- Work period (anticipated): 12:00am 25/07/2020 to 12:00am 20/09/2020
- Description: Repair works at Tobruk Memorial Pool to replace gutter grates and tiles at the perimeter of the 25m 6-lane pool and 50m swimming pool.
- Location: Tobruk Memorial Pool
- Status: Closed
Repair works are needed to replace gutter grates and tiles at the perimeter of the 25m 6-lane pool and 50m swimming pool.
Tobruk Memorial Pool is built to FINA (International Swimming Federation) standards to ensure it can be used for elite level training and competition. Elite athletes regularly use the pool, for instance Japanese swimmers ahead of their Tokyo Olympics trials, for conditioning training. This provides economic stimulus for the Cairns economy and an opportunity to promote the region to attract tourism.
Specialist tiles, made to FINA standards, are therefore needed: the grates are manufactured in the US and the tiles in Germany.
Works can only be done while the pool is empty, and a staged approach will be used to reduce the impact on patrons.
- 50m swimming pool:closed between 24 July and 6 September inclusive.
- 25m 6-lane pool: closed between 7 September and 27 September inclusive.
- Draining the pools
- Removal of existing grates and tiles
- Installation of new grates and tiles
- Filling, treating and heating the pools
The 25m warm water pool does not have grates and uses different tiles and is not impacted by these works.
All other facilities will be available as normal under the pool’s COVID-19 operating hours.
Tobruk Memorial Pool is a Council facility operated by Belgravia Leisure.