Roadworks - Lake St / McKenzie St
- Type of work: Minor Road Works
- Suburb: Cairns North
- Work period (anticipated): 12:00am 27/03/2019 to 12:00am 11/04/2019
- Description: Roundabout safety works
- Likely impacts: Noise; Dust; Property Access; Traffic Control; Road Closure
- Location: Lake St / McKenzie St roundabout
- Status: Closed
UPDATE: Due to wet weather works have been postponed
- Aspalt works will now commence on Wednesday 3 Thursday 4 and Friday 5 April 2019 (7.00am to 5.30pm), weather permitting.
The following improvement works are programmed for the Lake St / McKenzie St roundabout:
- Asphalt works on Wednesday 27, Thursday 28 and Friday 29 March 2019 (7.00am to 5.30pm), weather permitting.
While works are underway, McKenzie St will be temporarily closed to through traffic. Local traffic access will remain. Lake St will be open to through traffic under traffic control. Asphalt works will be staged with the eastern side of the roundabout to be undertaken first. Please observe and obey traffic controllers and signs advising the changes to normal traffic conditions, and follow detours as sign posted.
Once asphalt works are complete, a ‘Bicycle Awareness Zone’ will be introduced. This aims to improve cycling safety and it includes:
- Reducing the speed limit on the approaches to the roundabout to 30km/hr;
- On-road stencilling of bicycle symbols to advise all road-users that cyclists are encouraged to ‘take the lane’ and use the traffic lane to travel through the roundabout;
- Line marking to clearly define the traffic lanes – for use by vehicles and bicycles.
Council apologises for any inconvenience caused and appreciates your patience during these necessary safety improvement works.
If you have any concerns or would like further information, please call 4044 3326 or email email@example.com.