Street lighting upgrade - Sheridan St & Grafton St
- Type of work: Lighting & Traffic Signals
- Suburb: Cairns city
- Work period (anticipated): 12:00am 10/07/2017 to 12:00am 30/09/2017
- Description: Street lighting is to be upgraded in Sheridan St and Grafton St (Florence to Aplin streets)
- Likely impacts: Noise; Dust; Traffic Control
- Location: Grafton St & Sheridan St (Florence to Aplin)
- Status: Closed
- Traffic signals at the Grafton Street / Aplin Street intersection are being upgraded from Monday 14 August. Lane closures will be required during this time. The intersection traffic signals will be turned off and under police control on Wednesday 16 August and Thursday 17 August.
Thank you for your patience during this time.
Street lighting improvement works are programmed for Sheridan St and Grafton St (from Florence St to Aplin St) from Monday 10 July 2017. Works will include:
- Sub-standard timber light poles from the Grafton St centre medians and from the sides of Sheridan St will be removed and replaced with new LED lights on steel poles within the centre medians.
- Existing poorly performing trees within the centre medians will be removed and replaced with ten new mature trees. These will be planted into larger, irrigated median islands as existing trees do not have enough space around them for healthy growth. The large, healthy tree within the median closest to the Grafton St and Aplin St intersection will be retained.
- New U-turn facilities installed on both ends of the Grafton St block, and a new U-turn facility at the northern end of the Sheridan St block.
- Centre car parking bay sizes reconfigured to accord with desired standards. These changes will result in a net loss of 12 car parks and a gain of 8 motorbike bays however, the current Sunbus layover area in Sheridan St, just south of Florence St, is to be removed within the next 4 weeks which will provide an increase of approximately 20 spaces at this location. In addition, Council is programming the reconfiguration of car parking across a number of nearby streets to increase available parking (such as Lake Street and Minnie Street). Please refer to the attached plan for further details about the lighting works.
These works are expected to take approximately 12 weeks, weather permitting. During works, expect temporary lane closures, parking disruptions, noise and dust, however Council will keep disruptions to a minimum wherever possible.
This project will result in an improved visual amenity for the streets surrounding the Cairns Performing Arts Centre. Further improvements including new footpaths, kerbing and re-line marking of car parking on the road shoulders are expected to be programmed later this year.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation during the works program.