Esplanade lagoon closure
- Type of work: Parks & Playgrounds
- Suburb: Cairns city
- Work period (anticipated): 12:00am 01/05/2020 to 12:00am 30/06/2020
- Description: Esplanade lagoon closed for biennial maintenance works
- Likely impacts: Noise
- Location: Cairns Esplanade lagoon and surrounding parklands
- Status: Closed
The Cairns Esplanade Lagoon will reopen on Monday 29 June.
Users are advised that the Lagoon will operate under a site-specific COVID Safe Plan. This will include capping the number of bathers at 150, and gatherings are restricted to 20 people in the lagoon and on the surrounding parklands. The toilets, showers and changing rooms are open for use and will be cleaned more frequently. The lagoon will be open seven days a week, Thursday to Tuesday from 6am to 6pm, and from midday to 6pm on Wednesday to allow for weekly maintenance. People attending the Lagoon are reminded to follow social distancing rules and practice good personal hygiene.
Cairns Esplanade lagoon maintenance works will begin in May 2020.
Due to COVID-19, the Esplanade lagoon is presently closed, and as such our biennial scheduled maintenance works (and associated lagoon closure period) are being brought forward.
During this time, the lagoon and the amenities building will be closed from FRIDAY 1 MAY 2020 until the end of June 2020.
The lagoon needs to be emptied of water to enable maintenance of pool linings. Additional maintenance and improvements will also be carried out to the surrounding area at the same time.
The maintenance program includes:
- Detailed survey of render faults and required rectification
- Repairs to subsidence related concrete damage
- Sand replenishment
- Amenities building repairs and repainting
- Pipe work/pump repairs and valve overhauls
- Balance and backwash tank cleaning
- Cleaning and polishing of The Fish sculptures
- Public signage renewal
- Lagoon timber deck repairs and treating
- Scheduled repairs to change rooms.
During the above closure period, alternative public toilets are located at Fogarty Park.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation during the works program.