Car parking changes - Lake St and Kerwin St
- Type of work: Car Park Works
- Suburb: Cairns North
- Work period (anticipated): 12:00am 13/11/2017 to 12:00am 28/01/2018
- Description: More car parks are being added to Lake St and Kerwin St
- Likely impacts: Noise; Dust; Property Access; Traffic Control
- Location: Lake St and Kerwin St
- Status: Closed
Council is creating more car parking spaces in Lake Street and Kerwin Street. This will involve the following changes:
Lake Street (Grove to Upward):
- Re-line marking existing angle parking bays on the road shoulders to 90 degree bays;
- Modifying, removing and/or replacing existing centre median and road shoulder islands;
- Removing one existing ‘Keep Clear’ area near the northern Rydges Esplanade Resort driveway to introduce new centre median parking bays;
- Introducing a U-turn facility prior to the Grove St signalised intersection as the changes result in left-out only from Gatton St to Lake St, left-in only from Lake St to Gatton St and left-in only to Kerwin St – motorists will not be able to turn right into Gatton St from Lake St or into Kerwin St from Lake St;
- New centre median landscaped islands.
- Introducing a one-way east travel arrangement to allow enough room for existing parallel parking bays on the southern side to be changed to angle bays – entry to Kerwin St will only be via left-in from Lake St, there will be no entry to Kerwin St from the Esplanade - motorists will be able to exit Kerwin St via a right-turn or left-turn to the Esplanade;
- Removing and modifying existing road shoulder landscaped islands, including removing the palm trees on the south-western corner, and introducing new landscaped islands on southern side.
Works will start on Monday 13 November 2017 and weather permitting, it is expected to take approximately 6 weeks to complete the project. Works will commence in the Lake Street section first and then progress to Kerwin Street.
During works, please observe and obey signs advising the changes to traffic conditions. Some car parking bays will have to be closed during this time and will be reopened as works progress and it is safe to do so.
Council thanks you for your patience and co-operation during these improvement works and apologises for any inconvenience caused.
Refer to Related Links for further information or contact Council on (07) 4044 3303 or via firstname.lastname@example.org.