CBD right turn and U-turn lanes - Sheridan St
- Type of work: Minor Road Works
- Suburb: Cairns City
- Work period (anticipated): 12:00am 23/07/2018 to 12:00am 02/08/2018
- Description: Works to introduce right turn lanes and U-turn facilities will be introduced at the Sheridan/Shields and Sheridan/Aplin intersections.
- Likely impacts: Traffic Control
- Status: Closed
The traffic signals at the intersection of Sheridan and Shields will be shutdown between 9am and 3pm on Tuesday 7 August to allow for traffic signal electrical works to be completed. The intersection will be under Police control during this time. Line-marking works will be completed on Wednesday 8 August, weather permitting.
From Tuesday 7 August, works will be underway at the Sheridan/Aplin St intersection, from 7am to 6pm. During this time, lane closures are required and parking bays will be temporarily inaccessible, but will be reopened as soon as it is safe to do so.
Improvement works are programmed for Sheridan St, resulting in the introduction of right turn lanes and u-turn facilities at the intersection of Sheridan and Aplin St (northbound) and the intersection of Sheridan and Shields St (southbound).
This project is part of an ongoing program of works to improve the capacity, function and safety of the signalised intersections.These changes will allow:
- motorists travelling southbound along Sheridan St to queue when waiting to turn right into Shields St, minimising disruptions to traffic flow, as well as being able to undertake a legal u-turn manoeuvre in the bay provided; and
- motorists travelling northbound along Sheridan St to queue when waiting to turn right into Aplin St, minimising disruptions to traffic flow, as well as being able to undertake a legal u-turn manoeuvre in the bay provided.
From Monday 9 July to Wednesday 11 July 2018, site preparation works will commence at the Sheridan/Shields St intersection, from 7am to 6pm. During these preliminary works, southbound traffic will be reduced to single lane after 9am and northbound traffic will be reduced to single lane up until 3pm and some parking bays will be temporarily unavailable, but will be reopened as soon as it is safe to do so.
Additional information will be provided regarding the construction component of these works when they are programmed. These works are anticipated to occur in the next 6-8 weeks.
For more information about these works, please contact Council’s Public Consultation and Communications Officer on 4044 3326 or email email@example.com.