Metered standpipes provide a fair and equitable way to ensure charges reflect actual water consumption. Standpipes are used to obtain water directly from hydrants on Council mains for activities such as road works, water carting and concrete sawing.
Drawing of water from Council’s reticulation system other than by a Council-owned metered standpipe is not permitted. Fines apply for breaches. Fire Brigade and Emergency Services are exempt.
To draw water from our reticulation system, you must hire a metered standpipe through Water Billing on either a short term or long term basis.
Hiring a standpipe
Short Term non-trade account holder
Builders, filling swimming pools etc.
Maximum of 7 calendar days
Long Term Trade account holder
Water trucks, property developers etc.
8 or more days
Applying for a metered standpipe
Short term - non-Trade Account holder hire
Download the Metered Standpipe Hire Agreement form ( PDF, 0.23 MB ), complete and present it along with your photo identification and payment receipt at the standpipe collection point at 119-145 Spence Street, Cairns QLD 4870, 8.30am to 3.30pm Monday – Friday.
Fee payment options available are:
- Online credit card payment. After you have paid the fee, contact Water Billing on (07) 4044 3956 to arrange a suitable time to collect the standpipe; or
- Pay in person at Council's Customer Service Counter at 119-145 Spence Street, Cairns Qld 4870, 8.30am to 3.30pm Monday to Friday.
Long term - Trade Account holder hire
If your credit application is successful or you have previously hired a metered standpipe on a long term basis, please:
- complete a Metered Standpipe Hire Agreement form ( PDF, 0.23 MB )
- email your completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- then telephone Water Billing on (07) 4044 3956 to arrange a suitable time to collect the standpipe.
For enquiries relating to the standpipe hire, issuing and reading, please contact Council's Customer Service Centre on 1300 69 22 47.
Report all defects
If your metered standpipe develops any significant leaks (slight o-ring seal weep is acceptable), suffers any mechanical damage, or fails to operate properly, notify Cairns Regional Council Customer Service immediately on 1300 69 22 47 (24 hrs 7 days) and we will arrange for its repair or replacement.