REduce, REuse, REdiscover
Calling all Cairns students – it’s time to get creative!
Do you love where you live? There is no place like our place - help keep it that way!
Here’s your chance to showcase your amazing filmmaking talents. Tell your story and influence local (perhaps global) change at the same time.
Like change expert, Les Robinson says: “People don’t need to be told why they should change. They need to be shown how to start”.
How have you (or a friend) acted to Reduce, Reuse or Re-think waste as we know it? Have you discovered an inventive way to reduce your waste? Know someone who’s come up with a nifty solution to make waste into something great? Have you declared a war on waste? Are you leading the way in creating less waste? Know of a local hero – young or old – who has an inspiring story to tell?
In line with Council’s Waste Reduction and Recycling Strategy, each short film must be based around the theme of “Re-think Waste”
Using your film, tell a story about how a waste problem became a solution through simple, innovative, original actions.
All entries must follow the following guidelines:
- Use the theme ‘Re-think Waste’ with an innovative, simple and/or fun action to reduce or re-use waste
- Be no longer than 2 minutes.
- Opening and/or closing credits are not required, but if added may be up to an additional 10 seconds in total.
- Any genre can be used –documentary, comedy, musical, horror, drama, sci-fi or other with live-action or animation, or a combination of both.
- Any language can be used, as long as there are English subtitles for any foreign-language audio, no dialogue is also ok.
- You must have permission to use any images, music or copyright material.
- The major proportion of the work must be done by the students and the film submission must demonstrate this.
Entry is open to all primary and secondary students from schools within the Cairns Regional Council region. Students can enter individually, in groups, as a class or as a whole school.
Entries can be submitted from 28 August until 4pm on Thursday 20 September 2018. Early submissions are welcome!
Films can be submitted online as a downloadable Vimeo link (720p or 1080) or delivered on a USB as a mov or mp4 file either in person or by post.
Submissions must include an application form, including signed declarations by each entrant and Talent Release Forms for each person featured in the film. Download the T&Cs and entry form document ( DOCX, 0.9 MB ) for full details and to complete the required forms and declarations.
Before you submit your film, download the Judging Criteria to see the full list of criteria the films will be judged against.
- Primary Class prize: 1 Class (30 students + supervising adults) education tour at the Cairns Aquarium & Reef Research Centre.
- Secondary Class prize: 1 Class (27 students + 3 supervising adults) education trip to Marine World Pontoon, Moore Reef with Reef Magic.