Containers and sizes
Different size and type containers are required for different tests. Once your Request for Testing Form ( PDF, 0.15 MB ) has been submitted and processed with your preferred delivery method for receiving the sample bottles(s), containers can be ready for collection at the Laboratory Services building by 4pm the following day or can be posted to your nominated address. You can specify your preference on the bottom of the Request for Testing form when you submit it.
Samples can only be taken in the containers that are provided by the Lab to ensure that the tests are not compromised. Samples are not to be collected via any other sample container as they will not be accepted.
Taking your sample
As each type of test requires a different kind of sample collection, please be sure to refer to the instructions provided with your specific sample container(s). For those tests that require more complex sampling, a note will be left with the sample bottles to contact Laboratory Services for direct instruction.
When collecting your sample, it’s important that you complete the Chain of Custody form which documents a time line of when the sample took place. The completed form must be returned with the collected sample to the Laboratory Services building within the specific timeframe.
Submitting your sample
Collected samples must be returned to the Laboratory Services building within 24 hours of collection. The lab accepts samples Monday - Wednesday only, between 8am - 4pm. Before taking your sample, please consider the availability of couriers for collection and delivery. The completed Chain of Custody form must be returned with the collected sample.
Please note that the results from samples submitted outside of the specified timeframe cannot be guaranteed as accurate and reliable.
Once your sample has been submitted, you will receive a notification email confirming the receipt of the sample, the tests being carried out and your sample reference (project) number. If there are any issues with the information contained within the email, please contact us immediately.
Samples can only be received on specific days, depending on the test(s) applied for. Please refer to the Request for Testing Form ( PDF, 0.15 MB ) for the acceptable days to deliver your collected samples or refer to the following table.
|TEST||ACCEPTED delivery days (8am-4pm)|
|Tap water (drinking water)||Monday - Wednesday|
|Rainwater tank (drinking water)||Monday - Wednesday|
|Bore water (drinking water)||Monday - Wednesday|
|Surface water (creek or dam)||Monday - Wednesday|
|Swimming pool and spa||Monday - Wednesday|
|Freshcare (farmers)||Monday - Wednesday|
|Individual tests||By arrangement with the Lab|
|Customised testing||By arrangement with the Lab|
- Follow the sampling instructions provided with your sample bottle(s).
- Fill out your Chain of Custody form so we know the date and time the sample is collected. Please ensure this is signed and dated.
- Place your collected sample bottle and completed Chain of Custody form in the zip lock bag provided.
- Keep the samples chilled including the transportation to the drop off location (ideally between 2-6 degrees). You may use a portable refrigerator or an esky with ice-bricks. Do not freeze the samples.
- Return the sample within the specified time of collection either in person or via courier before 4pm.
- Samples can only be received on specific days, depending on the test(s) applied for. Please refer to the Application for Testing form for the acceptable days to deliver your collected samples or refer to the table above under Submitting your sample.
- Notify Lab of expected arrival time of sample if outside of business hours – this may attract an additional fee.