Council manages road improvement projects from concept to completion, and engages with the community through a variety of means including correspondence, surveys and meetings.
From time to time, Council may temporarily close roads for various reasons such as development requirements, street parades and roadworks.
Potholes and road repairs
Council regularly inspects all road surfaces and prioritises improvement and maintenance works. Ongoing maintenance such as repairing potholes, cracks and line-marking is carried out as required.
Council is responsible for potholes and road repairs on most streets, with the exception of main roads and highways which are managed by the Queensland Government.
To report damage
Contact Council on 1300 69 22 47 or make an online customer request to report damage to any Council-controlled roads.
Any issues found on Queensland Government highways (list below) should be reported to the Department of Transport and Main Roads on telephone 13 19 40:
- Gillies Highway (Riverstone Road);
- Bruce Highway (Mulgrave Road);
- Southern Connection (Ray Jones Dve, Comport St & sections of Kenny St, Florence St and Bunda St);
- Pine Creek-Yarrabah Road;
- Kennedy Highway (Kuranda Range Road);
- Cairns Western Arterial Rd (Reservoir Rd, McCoombe St, Alfred St, Pease St, Anderson St, James St);
- Stratford Connection Rd (Aeroglen Dve);
- Captain Cook Highway (Sheridan St).
To find out about roadworks or hazards on Queensland Government-controlled roads, contact the Department of Transport and Main Roads by phone 13 19 40, visit the 131940 website or follow @131940_fnnq Twitter feed.