Generally, most suburban residential streets in the Cairns region are 50km/h, unless sign-posted.
Council follows guidelines for assessing and changing speed limits on council-owned roads. In Queensland, speed limits are set under the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD).
This makes speed limits even throughout the state. Council determines speed limits on roads under its control in line with the MUTCD guidelines.
To request a speed limit review
Call Council on (07) 4044 3044 or make an online customer request.
To request speed limit reviews on State government highways, contact the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 132 380.
Highways within this region that are maintained and controlled by the State Government's Department of Transport and Main Roads include:
- Gillies Highway (Riverstone Road);
- Bruce Highway (Mulgrave Road);
- Southern Connection (Ray Jones Dve, Comport St & sections of Kenny St, Florence St and Bunda St);
- Pine Creek-Yarrabah Road;
- Kennedy Highway (Kuranda Range Road);
- Cairns Western Arterial Rd (Reservoir Rd, McCoombe St, Alfred St, Pease St, Anderson St, James St);
- Stratford Connection Rd (Aeroglen Dve);
- Captain Cook Highway (Sheridan St).