Many industrial, commercial and domestic activities cause water to become polluted with contaminants. The Environmental Protection Act 1994 prescribes certain contaminants that are not permitted to enter roadside gutters, stormwater drainage, waters or be reasonably expected to move to waters, roadside gutters, or stormwater drainage.
- Prescribed water contaminants ( PDF, 0.64 MB )
- Preventing stormwater and waterway pollution fact sheet ( PDF, 0.19 MB )
Council enforces the protection of waterways in accordance with the Environmental Protection Act 1994, and substantial penalties apply for unlawfully contaminating our waters.
How can I keep waterways healthy?
- Detect all stormwater drains, inlets, channels, easements and waterway protecting them from potential contamination.
- Collect and lawfully dispose of litter or potential contaminant and collect all wastewater.
- Avoid using harmful or toxic chemicals when conducting activities such as pressure cleaning.
- Have a means of containing waste such as a spill kit or regulated waste transporter.
- Ensure adequate rubbish containment to prevent the movement of litter.
- Install appropriate measures to prevent contaminant discharge such as erosion and sediment controls.
Car wash events
The runoff from washing cars on roadways flows into our creeks and finally the Great Barrier Reef. These pollutants can harm the aquatic environment and reduce water quality.
Do your bit by holding a more environmentally friendly car wash - see our tips below:
- Wash vehicles on grassed, gravel or impervious sealed areas. (On impervious sealed areas, use mats, portable bunds and sand bags to contain the waste water.)
- Dispose of wastewater onto gardens or grassed areas.
- Collect all waste and dispose of it at a Council transfer station.
- Use trigger hoses or buckets to reduce water usage. Alternatively, use waterless car washing kits.
- Choose environmentally-friendly detergents that are non-toxic, chlorine free, phosphate-free or biodegradable.
- Approach commercial car washes to participate as hosts of your fundraiser.