More than a year in the making, the newly redeveloped Munro Martin Parklands (MMP) opened to the public on Sunday 14 August 2016.
Munro Martin Parklands (MMP) is Cairns' newest community gathering place complete with an outdoor performance space. The Parklands boast tropical plantings, vine covered pergolas and arbours and an open-air plaza to encourage passive, casual use of the facility.
The venue is also equipped to host a wide range of shows and since its opening in August 2016 performances have ranged from Queensland Opera’s Barber of Seville, to the new circus of Circa, Grammy Award winning Soweto Gospel Choir and the contemporary music of Passenger.
Survey results indicated very high community satisfaction with 99% happy with the new venue and 94% satisfied with their overall experience at the event.
Munro Martin Parklands is open to the public from 6am to 8.30pm, seven days a week except on ticketed event days.
If rain is forecast on an event day please ensure you dress accordingly and bring a raincoat. Umbrellas are allowed in the venue but are not to be used during the performance as it blocks the view of other patrons. Read our full weather advice.
PLEASE NOTE: Rain ponchos will no longer be provided at events at Munro Martin Parklands due to the environmental impact of these single use plastic products.
Following your visit or at the conclusion of an event in the Parklands, please ensure to clean up your rubbish and dispose of it responsibly in the ample bins provided around the site.
As a Botanic Garden and Cairns Regional Council public asset we ask for your help to reduce waste within the Parklands. Picnics can generate significant amounts of rubbish and it is your responsibility to clean up after yourselves.
Plan your trip to MMP
For upcoming events at Munro Martin Parklands visit www.cairnsperformingartscentre.com.au
MMP redevelopment stage 2 - Upgrade to Back of House facilities
A dressing room, box office and portable bar are part of a $1.3 million upgrade planned for Munro Martin Parklands.
Council has approved work to start on additions for the Performance Stage Back of House (dressing and green rooms, toilets and an office), box office and audio/lighting needs, along with a portable bar and cold room, to enhance MMP operations.
Improved electrical services, including additional connections for catering stalls and other commercial operators are part of the project, along with an upgrade to the Minnie Street gate to provide improved site access for contractors and emergency services.
Construction will start late September / early October. For more details of the project construction go to WORKS IN PROGRESS page.
After three years of MMP operations, it has been identified permanent facilities will significantly enhance operational capacity and deliver value for money.
"Proudly funded by the Australian Government and Queensland Government in association with the Cairns Regional Council" Budget – $1.3M (includes all costs - design / construction / other costs). Funding split as follows;
- $650k – State Government (Building Our Regions Fund)
- $500k – Federal Government (Building Better Regions Fund)
- $150k – Council Capital works program
- Win a Double Pass to see An Evening with The Waifs on Saturday 22 September.
Terms & Conditions
- The competition (Promotional Period) starts on Wednesday 12 September 2018 at 4.30pm and ends Friday 14 September 2018 at 4pm AEST.
- The prize is only valid for the above mentioned show at Munro Martin Parklands in 2018.
- Incomplete, indecipherable, or illegible entries will be deemed invalid, as will entries containing expletives.
- The winner will be selected at random and this decision will be final.
- Winners will be notified via Facebook's private messenger prior to being announced via social media.
- Tickets are not transferable or redeemable for cash.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook.
Contact Council's Customer Service Centre:
Phone: 1300 69 22 47