Zappala Park is categorised as Linear Open Space.
Linear Parks are low use public open space areas with primary uses for stormwater management, buffering or linkage. Recreation or active transport are secondary uses.
History behind the name
Leonardo (Leo) Zappala and his sons Sebastiano (Ned) and Guiseppi (Joe) purchased a cane farm directly behind the Hambledon Mill in approximately 1945, farming the land at that time originally using horses. The farm had a large area and included the land that the park is sited on,
Ned married and moved to Mount Peter Road, Edmonton. He continued working on the farm with Joe who also married and lived with Leo, his father, on the family farm. Both brothers married local Edmonton girls.
Whilst farming they started an earth-moving business. They personally worked on major projects in and around the Cairns area, including the construction of Copperlode Dam, construction of the Cairns Bulk Sugar Terminal, Henleys Hill water reservoir, Redlynch Valley water intake project and the Cairns Airport redevelopment, just to name a few.
After farming the land for more than 50 years it was eventually sold for development in the late 1990's.
Contributions to the Calvary Hospital (now Cairns Private) and the Bethlehem Home were also made. After a major heart operation, Joe and his wife Alfina raised a considerable amount for the Heart Foundation over a number of years.
A large number of Leo, Ned and Joe's decedents still live in and around the Edmonton area.