Open green space and simple facilities await in this local park with a shaded playground for the kids.
History behind the name
This park was renamed on 18 April 2018 from Nindii Close Park to Jashar Park.
The Jashar family were pioneers in the Edmonton area, migrating to the area from Europe from 1928 onwards and settling in Green Hills initially and then setting up and operating sugar cane farms at Thomson Road, Edmonton.
Sam (Sadik) Jashar and his younger brother Hiqmet (Eric) Jashar contributed to the Edmonton community in these early years through:
- Community assistance and volunteer work
- Funding and donations, technological expertise, infrastructure and building
- Volunteering for the SES and helping in several local cyclone disasters
- Building Stoney Creek Bridge
- Assisting with building the Edmonton Pool, Edmonton Bowls Club and St Theresa’s School through the donation of labour, equipment and resources.
The Jashar men (Sam, Eric and Robert) were heavily involved in local sports in the capacity of participants, members and executive in sports/clubs including Edmonton Fishing Club, Cane Growers Board, Junior Farmers Association, Suburbs Football Club, Mulgrave and Edmonton Cricket Clubs and the first pistol club (Robert Jashar established the pistol club and was its inaugural president).
Second generation Jashars were members of National Fitness and represented school and sporting clubs at state competitions being Jane Jashar (Athletics), Cassie Jashar (Athletics), John and Gerald Jashar (Football and Cricket). Mary Jashar taught children with autism and intellectual impairment for 15 years at Hambledon State School.