Library membership provides you with free access to many premium online subscription-only resources including:
- Story Box Library – An online ‘reading room’ featuring Australian stories for primary school age children, read by Australian and New Zealand storytellers.
- BUSYTHINGS - An educational tool designed for children aged from 3 to 11 years. Includes over 230 new online resources, games, and activities.
- Levelled Readers – Access an extensive range of levelled readers to compliment and encourage reading for school age children and youth.
- Mango Languages – Access 70 foreign language courses and 17 English courses online or by downloading the app.
- Spineout – An Online magazine that encourages young adults to share book reviews, poems, short stories, music lyrics and more.
Includes story times, membership talks and resource overviews that are tailored to suit various age levels and interests. The tours are delivered in a Cairns library branch, the classroom or at your school library. Here are two examples of school tours:
Primary school groups – 1 hour
- Membership overview
- ‘Show and Tell’ of library resources
- Free time to explore/borrow
- Small gift or library show bag to take home
High school groups – 1 hour
- Membership overview
- Accessing library resources
- Overview of online database
- Demonstration of online reservations
- Free time to explore and borrow
This program supports stronger language and literacy environments for young children aged 0-5 years and their families. The program directly supports parents and primary caregivers to be confident as the child’s first and most important teacher.
An independent movie streaming site specialising with Australian documentaries and indie features from around the world.
This resource features complimentary films and documentaries on Australian history, events, and historical figures.
eBooks and eAudiobooks from Bolinda
Students can access eBooks and eAudiobooks online through Bolinda and the BorrowBox app.
This collection consists of a large range of junior and youth fiction and non-fiction items.
Council owns and operates three of the city's key performance venues which attract national and international acts as well as providing a platform for local artists.
School and group bookings
We take pride in the number of shows presented each year that are suitable for school children of all ages. We endeavour to schedule child-friendly shows at times to suit school attendance, with special group discounts available.
You can access information via the TicketLiNK website on show synopsis, teacher's notes and links to support material (where available) well in advance of performance dates.
Visit the TicketLink website more information and to book tickets, or phone TicketLiNK on 1300 855 835
Cairns Children's Festival
Established in 2014, the Cairns Children's Festival is a two-day celebration for children aged 12 and under, and their adults. Held annually in May of each year, the festival aims to put our youngest creatives in the spotlight whilst also creating a safe and fun environment for families to explore, create and imagine.
Events are held across multiple locations and in the lead-up to the event, Council hosts a number of school engagement workshops and opportunities in the Tinkering Tank where students will contribute to installations and engage with the project in a creative manner.