Sidney, located on the Saanich Peninsula on Vancouver Island, has a population of over 11,000. The town is the business hub of the Peninsula and is the gateway to Vancouver Island.
Sidney's main attraction is its position on the Salish Sea. Sidney-by-the-Sea is the gateway to the southern Gulf Islands National Park Reserve, and is a popular eco-tourist destination, with whale-watching, bird-watching, kayaking and scuba-diving. It is home to the new Shaw Ocean Discovery Centre. Shoal Harbour Migratory Bird Sanctuary is located within Sidney and the adjoining Sidney Channel Important Bird Area, an internationally recognised site important to a variety of seabirds and waterfowl.
Sidney is a town located at the northern end of the Saanich Peninsula, on Vancouver Island in the Canadian province of British Columbia.
The population of Sidney is approximately 11,500 (2016).
Sidney enjoys a cool Mediterranean climate with year-round mild temperatures and moderate rainfall. Most years see very little snow. Daily temperatures seldom climb above 31°C, or dip below -7°C. In the mildest winters, minimum temperatures stay above -3°C. Damaging winds are less frequent than in most other maritime areas of Canada.
The local time of Sidney is Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) -7 which is 17 hours behind Cairns.
Sister City agreement
The agreement was signed in 1984.
Sister City activity for Cairns-Sidney
- 2014 Chair of Cairns Sister Cities Advisory visits Sidney in May to attend celebrations for the 30th Anniversary of the Sister City relationship with Cairns
- 2014 Two students from Sidney travel to Cairns as part of Youth Ambassadors Program
- 2014 Special celebratory event held in Sidney in May 2014 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of its Sister City relationship with Cairns.
- 2011 Youth Ambassadors attend program in Cairns
- 2010 Sidney participates in Fibres of Life textile exhibition displayed in Cairns
- 2009 Sidney participated in the Cairns "Face of a Sister City" photographic exhibition Face of a Sister City Photo Exhibition - Sidney
- 2008 Sidney participated in "Earth Links" Ceramics Exhibition
- 2001 Cairns Mayor Kevin Byrne visited Sidney
- Visit the Town of Sidney official website