Do you want to know more about the street you live in? Click on the starting letter of the street name to find out more about its history and origin. Each letter opens as a PDF document in a new window in your web browser.
To find out more about your suburb or a place of interest, click on the starting letter of the suburb name. Each letter will open a PDF document in a new window in your web browser.
Many people assisted in compiling this information. Council specifically acknowledges the generous support and input from the Cairns Historical Society and Kay Earl.
Other sources of information included:
- A Pictorial History of the Mulgrave Shire 1880-1980, Published by G.K. Bolton, Cairns, 1980. Published for the Mulgrave Shire Council.
- Alley, Jan. Recollections and Recipes of Riverstone.
- Cairns Connect
- Cairns Museum
- Certain Friends in Uncertain Times, 1995. Published by the Machans Beach Progress Association.
- Jeremy Hodes. 1998. Far North Queensland Place and Street Names: Their origins and meanings.
- Email Kay Earl firstname.lastname@example.org for information on Edmonton, Mt Peter Mine, Thomas Swallow, The Cane industry and Hambledon-Blackfellow Creek School.
- Moments in Time Collection, The Cairns Post, 2002.
- Murphy J. 1998. Cairns and District: Our Heritage in focus. State Library of Queensland Foundation.
- Walters, Aubrey John. 2005. Behind the Name - About the origin of some towns and places in the Cairns Region.