Why should I register my dog
To assist us in returning your dog to you it becomes lost
Dog registration and microchipping is compulsory in Queensland. All dogs must be registered with Council from 12 weeks. There is a special introductory fee for first-time registration.
To avoid a $266 fine for having an unregistered dog
When do I have to renew my registration?
- Dog registration must be renewed each year on 1 July (see fees).
- From 2017, you will receive a lifetime registration tag. You will continue to pay an annual renewal fee as normal.
What does my registration pay for?
Dog registration fees:
- Fund and improve facilities such as the pound and dog off-leash areas
- Contribute to handling of animal-related complaints and investigations
- Allow us to provide a range of free activities for pet owners such as Community Dog Walks, workshops on problem behaviour and the annual Pets in the Park
How do I arrange to receive my renewal by email?
This can be done online or by contacting customer service on 1300 69 22 47.
I have just moved to the Cairns Regional Council area, do I need to register my dog with Council?
- Yes, you are required to register your dog within 14 days of moving to the Cairns Regional Council area.
- You should contact your previous Council to advise your dog is no longer in their local government area.
- There are no reciprocal arrangements with other Councils so you will need to register your dog when you move to the Cairns Regional Council area and pay the full registration fee
What should I do if I move to a new address?
You should notify Council within 7 days of any changes to your dog registration details.
When will I receive my dog tag and certificate if I register online?
Provided the online application is complete and any supporting documentation required is supplied, your registration tag and certificate should arrive within 14 days.
I have a certificate or documentation to upload with my application but don't have a scanner. What can I do?
Council will accept a clear photograph of the certificate. It must be uploaded with your application
How many dogs can I have on my property?
- A multiple dwelling or dual occupancy premises = 1 dog
- Property < 450m2 = 1 dog
- Property > 450m2 = 2 dog
- If you wish to have more dogs, you can apply for an excess permit