The Cairns Botanic Gardens is a tropical paradise, renowned as one of the best exhibitions of tropical plants in Australia. Come and explore the beauty of tropical plants, relax in stunning surroundings and learn about tropical flora and horticulture.
Following the relaxation of social distancing rules the majority of the Cairns Botanic Gardens precinct is open for use, including the conservatory and Nature Play area.
Some regular tours have recommenced (see What's On calendar).
The Botanic Gardens Visitor Centre remains closed.
As at 15 May, Council has reopened limited public space bookings in accordance with Stage 1 of the Queensland Government's road map for easing COVID-19 restrictions. Refer to the Functions page for more information.
Please note: Important dates for start of 2018 activities
- Gardener’s first trolley sale for 2018 will be Wednesday 7 February.
- Friends’ Shop re-opens Monday 8 January. From 8 Jan to 5 Feb 2018, the Shop will open mornings only.
- Guided walks: Walks will recommence on Monday 26 February 2018.
- Flecker Gardens, including Watkins Munro Martin Conservatory, open every day from 7.30am to 5.30pm (subject to weather conditions).
- All other garden areas are open around the clock.
- Visitor Centre open 8:30am to 4pm weekdays, 8:30am to 1pm weekends and public holidays, closed Christmas Day.
- Dogs are not allowed in any part of the Cairns Botanic Gardens.
- Phone 4032 6650 for enquiries
- Admission is FREE
Collins Avenue, Edge Hill. The Freshwater and Saltwater Lakes can be easily accessed from Greenslopes Street.
- On-street parking available along Collins Avenue and Greenslopes Street.
- Sunbus stops on Collins Avenue directly outside Flecker Gardens.
- Wheelchair / pram access: some paths in Flecker Garden are not suitable for wheelchairs and prams. The remainder of the gardens, including Centenary Lakes, is fully accessible. Download the accessibility map ( PDF, 3.57 MB ) or view the accessibility map on-screen ( JPG, 0.94 MB ) to identify areas where carer assist is required and areas that are not accessible.