The Martyn Street and McLeod Street pioneer cemeteries were the two original cemeteries for the Cairns area.
The McLeod Street cemetery is now closed for burials and is classified as a cultural/historic site with conditions for management and maintenance set out by the Environmental Protection Agency.
The following cemeteries are in the Cairns region.
Location: Bruce Highway/Nelson Rd Babinda.
Located a few minutes drive north of the township of Babinda, and alongside the sloping hills of the Wooroonoora national park, the Babinda Cemetery has two sites, as well as a columbarium wall and mausoleum:
- North of Nelson Rd - monumental section and
- South of Nelson Rd - lawn beam section
Location: Corner Hardy and Foster roads, Mount Sheridan.
The Forest View cemetery is located at the rear of the Forest Gardens estate, at the base of White Rock peak. The only burial options currently available are lawn burials. A new mausoleum, lawn beam and ashes memorial section are also under construction.
The Cairns Crematorium, a privately run company, is located adjacent to the cemetery and features a memorial garden for ashes. For more information please call the crematorium on 4036 1888.
Location: Corner Highleigh and Maher roads, Gordonvale.
Located adjacent to O'Leary's Creek, the Gordonvale Cemetery is set among palm trees and surrounding cane fields. There are three designated areas within the cemetery:
- Monumental section that contains a below-ground Vault Monumental area
- Lawn Plaque Section with concrete beams (plaques are attached to the beam)
- Columbarium wall section for ashes
- Mausoleum vaults
Location: Corner Martyn and Anderson streets, Manunda.
Designated areas within the cemetery:
- Adult Lawn Plaque Section
- Adult Lawn Headstone Section
- Monumental Section
- Infant/Children's Lawn Plaque
- Infant/Children's Lawn Headstone Section
McLeod Street Pioneer Cemetery
Location: McLeod Street, Cairns.
Located alongside the Kuranda-Cairns railway line, this cemetery is a registered Pioneer Cemetery and is managed by Council subject to conditions from the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Download a copy of Council's McLeod Street Pioneer Cemetery Conservation Plan.
There is an information rotunda within the grounds providing information on location of graves and those buried. Not all graves in the cemetery have headstones. No plaques may be added to, or restoration works permitted.
- All cemeteries are open dawn to dusk. The gates of the McLeod Street Pioneer Cemetery are open from 6am to 6.30pm daily.
- To locate a relative buried in one of Council's cemeteries please visit our Cemeteries Search page.
- If you are a community group interested in carrying out works relevant to the improvement, maintenance and promotion of cemeteries please call Council on 4044 3044.