The first burial in Cairns took place on 16 December 1887 at the McLeod Street Cemetery. There were 15 burials that year, and today there are around 400 burials across Cairns each year. The McLeod Street cemetery is now closed for burials and is classified as a cultural/historic site with conditions for management and maintenance set out by the Environmental Protection Agency. The Martyn Street cemetery was the other original cemetery for the Cairns area and it remains in operation today.
The style and presentation of our cemeteries reflects our north Queensland culture and heritage, and our respect and dignity for those who have passed on. Many of our cemeteries are located beside waterways and feature tree-lined avenues, large open fields, memorial gardens and peaceful walkways.
- All cemeteries are open dawn to dusk. McLeod Street Pioneer Cemetery gates open 6am to 6.30pm daily.
- To locate a person buried in one of Council's cemeteries, use our Cemeteries Search.
- If you are a community group interested in carrying out improvement, maintenance and promotion works for cemeteries, please call us on 1300 69 22 47.
Location: Bruce Highway/Nelson Rd Babinda.
Located a few minutes drive north of the township of Babinda, and alongside the sloping hills of the Wooroonoora National Park, the Babinda Cemetery has two sites, a columbarium wall and mausoleum.
- North of Nelson Rd - monumental section and
- South of Nelson Rd - lawn beam section
Location: Corner Hardy and Foster roads, Mount Sheridan.
The Forest View cemetery is located at the rear of the Forest Gardens estate, at the base of White Rock peak. The only burial options currently available are lawn burials and mausoleum burials in reserved sites.
The Cairns Crematorium, a privately run company, is located adjacent to the cemetery and features a memorial garden for ashes. For more information please call the crematorium on 4036 1888.
Location: Corner Highleigh and Maher roads, Gordonvale.
Located adjacent to O'Leary's Creek, the Gordonvale Cemetery is set among palm trees and surrounding cane fields. There are three designated areas within the cemetery:
- Monumental section that contains a below-ground Vault Monumental area
- Lawn Plaque Section with concrete beams (plaques are attached to the beam)
- Columbarium wall section for ashes
- Mausoleum vaults
Location: Corner Martyn and Anderson streets, Manunda.
Designated areas within the cemetery - view Martyn Street Cemetery layout ( PDF, 0.98 MB )
- Adult Lawn Plaque Section
- Adult Lawn Headstone Section
- Monumental Section
- Infant/Children's Lawn Plaque
- Infant/Children's Lawn Headstone Section
McLeod Street Pioneer Cemetery
Location: McLeod Street, Cairns.
Located alongside the Kuranda-Cairns railway line, this cemetery is a registered Pioneer Cemetery and is managed by Council subject to conditions from the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Download a copy of Council's McLeod Street Pioneer Cemetery Conservation Plan.
There is an information rotunda within the grounds providing information on location of graves and those buried. Not all graves in the cemetery have headstones. No plaques may be added to, or restoration works permitted.