Educational guided walks for schools and other educational institutes are free. Bookings are limited so book well in advance.
The Cairns Botanic Gardens Library houses botanical and horticultural books and other publications relevant to tropical gardening. It provides plant science resources and accurate information to users by collecting, organising, preserving, and sharing subject-specific materials for current and future use. The Library is open to the public when the Friends of Botanic Gardens House is open.
For more information, email the Friends of Botanic Gardens or phone (07) 4032 3900.
The Botanic Gardens Library holds many paper-based keys, both dedicated and attached to other publications. Other useful plant science tools and resources are listed below.
Plant identification services
- If you would like a plant identified by the Cairns Botanic Gardens staff, feel free to bring a photo or a piece of it (preferably with fruit or flowers attached) to the Visitor Centre. The receptionist will take your details and we will get back to you with an identification as soon as we can.
- The Australian Tropical Herbarium, located at James Cook University (Cairns campus, Smithfield) has a set of reference specimens available to researchers, the public and special interest groups to assist in the identification of north Queensland’s plants. The Public Reference Collection is open 9:30am to 4:00pm, Monday to Friday, closed on Public Holidays. No appointment is necessary. For more information, phone (07) 4232 1837 or email the Australian Tropical Herbarium.
Plant identification keys
- Australian Tropical Rainforest Plants is an easy to use, interactive, online key for the identification of tropical rainforest plants of northern Australia.
- Australian Tropical Rainforest Orchids is an easy to use, interactive, online key for the identification of tropical rainforest orchids of northern Australia.
- Discover Nature is an illustrated guide to the plants and animals of James Cook University's Cairns and Townsville campuses.