Notice is given under the Planning Act 2016 that on 11 November 2020, Cairns Regional Council resolved to undertake Public Consultation on the proposed CairnsPlan 2016 Major Amendmentand the proposed amendments to the following Planning Scheme Policies:
- Planning Scheme Policy – Natural hazards;
- Planning Scheme Policy – Neighbourhood character;
- Planning Scheme Policy – Places of significance; and
- Planning Scheme Policy – Tropical urbanism.
The purpose and general effect of the proposed CairnsPlan 2016 Major Amendment is to:
- address feedback from the community and development industry;
- improve the efficiency of the scheme;
- remove unnecessary triggers for development applications; and
- ensure the planning scheme is contemporary and complies with the requirements of the Planning Act 2016.
The purpose and general effect of the proposed amendments to the Planning Scheme Policies is to:
- reflect and support the amendments in the proposed CairnsPlan 2016 Major Amendment;
- provide additional guidance on meeting the outcomes within the CairnPlan 2016 planning scheme; and
- update references and terminology.
A copy of the proposed amendments is available online, or for inspection or purchase at the Cairns Regional Council Customer Service Centre located at 119-145 Spence Street, Cairns.
The public consultation period is from 17 November 2020 to 31 January 2021 inclusive.
Any person may make a submission about any aspect of the proposed amendments. To be considered properly made, the submission must:
- be in writing;
- include the name and residential or business address of each person making the submission;
- include a postal address or email address;
- include the grounds (reasons) for the submission and the facts and circumstances relied on in support of the grounds;
- be signed by each person making the submission; and
- be made during the consultation period from Tuesday 17 November 2020 to Sunday 31 January 2021 inclusive.
Submissions can be lodged by email to email@example.com, by mail to PO Box 359, Cairns QLD 4870 or in person at Council Chambers at 119-145 Spence Street, Cairns. For further information about the proposed amendment please contact Council’s Strategic Planning Unit on 1300 69 22 47.
Acting Chief Executive Officer, Cairns Regional Council