- Fresh new look with simplified, task-focused home page
- Prominent search bar makes it easy for customers to find what they want (catalogue, events, site content)
- Mobile responsive
- Improved useability and functionality
- Same web address (URL)
Just in time for Library Lovers’ Month, local bookworms will be greeted with a new look and even better experience when they next visit the Cairns Libraries website.
In response to an ever-growing customer base and increasing use of mobile devices, the library service website has been completely rebuilt to deliver improved useability and functionality.
A new task-focused homepage features the most commonly-used information and upcoming events presented in a fresh modern look.
“We want to connect customers with what they need, quickly, easily and efficiently,” said Cairns Mayor Bob Manning.
“This new, user-friendly website makes it easy for everyone to access our library services and resources, including our extensive range of free events.”
Central to the upgrade is improved mobile responsiveness, a prominent search bar and streamlined navigation so that customers can easily find library resources and services.
In the past 12 months, more than 92,400 people visited the Cairns Libraries website, with 62 per cent accessing the site via a mobile device.
“This new website is a big leap forward in terms of ease of use and navigation, especially for smartphone and tablet users,” Mayor Manning said.
“Now, no matter what size or type of device they use, customers can easily search for and reserve items from all our libraries, and find out about events being held in branches.”
The new website has been launched in time for the popular annual Library Lovers’ Month, when Council celebrates “all things library”.
This year’s program features a range of author talks, craft sessions, technology workshops, storytimes and even a “blind date with a book”!
The Cairns Libraries website address remains unchanged; explore the new website at www.cairns.qld.gov.au/library
- In the past 12 months, the Cairns Libraries website has recorded 210,230 user sessions by more than 90,000 unique users.
- Customers borrowed 1.129 million resources during that same period – including more than 89,000 digital products and 1.04 million physical loans
- Cairns Libraries had an active membership base of 54,273 (annual average of the past 3 years – based on users that have borrowed/used library services)
- Cairns Libraries delivered 690 events across the eight branches during 2019, attended by more than 20,000 participants.