Council will adopt a more liberal approach to the hire of Munro Martin Parklands to broaden community use.
Amendments to the Cultural Facilities General Policy in relation to provisions for the operation of MMP was endorsed by Council today.
The changes aim to broaden third party venue hire provisions, mandate full cost recovery for both commercial and not-for-profit hire, and hosting approval of events after 10pm needs to be a decision of the full Council.
Changes to the policy include:
- Substitute MMP text referring to “arts and cultural activities” to a broader definition of “venue hire for externally run events”.
- Inclusion of an additional objective – hire to third parties for exclusive events must be at full cost recovery.
- Broaden the General Manager’s delegation to approve events from “commercial” to all “externally run events”.
- Restrict approval of events after 10 pm to being a decision of the full Council.
- Inclusion of the Cairns Gallery Precinct in the list of Council controlled and operated facilities.
A review of the amendments will be reported back to Council in September.