Water restrictions within the Cairns Regional Council area will be increased to Level 2 from today (21 January).
Without steady rain, the water level at Copperlode Falls Dam has continued to drop and now sits at 69 per cent of capacity.
“Water usage has remained steady and although we have had some rain, it has not fallen in significant amounts in the right places to keep topping the dam up,” Mayor Bob Manning said.
“It’s important that we make an effort to reduce our water use now and slow the rate it’s dropping or we could be looking at a more significant problem when we move into the dry season.”
Sprinkler use is now limited to one hour in the morning (6am to 7am) and one hour in the evening (6pm to 7pm), with days reduced from three to two days and determined by odd or even property numbers.
Additional restrictions also apply to washing of cars and other vehicles, cleaning of windows and topping up of pools and ponds.
Cr Manning said Council had changed its watering methods to comply with the Level 2 restrictions.
“This means we’ve greatly reduced the amount of water we’re using on parks and gardens and sprinklers are being used only in high profile public areas, like the Esplanade, Munro Martin Parklands and Botanic Gardens,” Cr Manning said.
“As a result, a lot of our parks are very dry and we hope residents will bear with us while we wait for the onset of the wet season”.
Under Level 2 water restrictions:
- Sprinklers may be used only between the hours of 6am-7am and 6pm-7pm.
- Odd-numbered properties (ie street number ending with 1, 3, 5, 7 or 9) are permitted to use sprinklers during the specified hours on Tuesdays and Saturdays only.
- Even-numbered properties (number ending with 0, 2, 4, 6, or 8) may use sprinklers on Wednesdays and Sundays only.
- No sprinkler or hose use is permitted on Mondays.
- Hand-held hoses with a trigger nozzle can be used on other days.
Watering cans and buckets can be used at any time.
Other restrictions include:
- No hosing of paved areas unless it is as a result of an accident, fire, health hazard or other emergency.
- Topping up of pools and ponds may occur during permitted sprinkler use times only.
- Water must not be used to clean windows except by means of a bucket or watering can filled directly from the tap.
- Hoses must not be used for washing cars and other vehicles unless it is at a commercial car wash facility.
If you are using bore water for your sprinkler system, please ensure you have up to date signage on display stating “bore water in use”.
For full details of Level 2 water restrictions, see the information sheet on Council’s website or contact Council on 1300 692 247.
For ideas of how to conserve water at home, visit https://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/water-waste-roads/water/save-water