A plan to enhance and grow the Cairns region’s economy and position the city as a national hot spot for investment and innovation has been adopted by Cairns Regional Council.
Council’s Economic Development Strategy 2018-2022 identifies actions to achieve a strong, diversified and resilient regional economy that supports the growth of new and existing industry, business activities and provides long-term employment opportunities.
Mayor Bob Manning said successful development of the regional economy required a shared vision of the future.
“One of the key objectives of this strategy is to take steps to develop a shared vision for the city of Cairns and its region, detailing projects, policy and investment that will enhance economic growth and liveability,” he said.
“We directly consulted with various regional stakeholders and invited the community to provide their comments and suggestions,” he said.
“As a result, we’ve tweaked the draft strategy to better reflect the priorities and desires of our business community. To achieve results with this strategy, we need to be able to work collaboratively and provide the support that businesses need.”
The strategy identifies 10 key actions:
- Preservation, Conservation & Promotion – Promote Cairns as one of Australia’s most desirable places to live, visit and do business and preserve and conserve the natural assets that underpin our economy and lifestyle.
- Trade & Investment – Undertake and actively participate in activities that will attract trade and investment.
- Events – Facilitate and support the attraction of events and performances that bring economic and social benefits to the community.
- Resources – Facilitate business and community access to relevant economic information and resources to assist business and industry development.
- Development & Diversification – Support industry development and economic diversification.
- Entrepreneurship & Innovation – Foster and support innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Shared Vision – Develop a shared vision and strategic framework for Cairns which can be used as a foundation for advocacy initiatives and collaboration.
- Government Relations – Undertake direct advocacy activities in support of economic development.
- Collaboration – Foster a collaborative working relationship between agencies and stakeholders involved in the delivery of economic development activities.
- Targeted Activities – Undertake targeted and specific economic development activities in priority areas.
Please read our rules for commenting.comments powered by Disqus