Note: All funds have been expended for the 2018/19 financial year.
The Mayor's Discretionary Fund provides grants for individual community organisations.
- The Mayor's Discretionary Fund is an annual amount provided in each budget to enable the Mayor to respond to emergent requests for financial assistance from community organisations. In the 2019-2020 financial year, an amount of $15,000 has been allocated for this fund, capped at $500 per organisation.
- Grants are available for individual community organisations to apply for, once only per financial year, to enable the grant monies to be spread between eligible community organisations.
- Funds for the Mayor's Discretionary Fund are limited, each application is assessed on merit and not all eligible applications can be funded.
- Grants to community organisations must be in accordance with Council's Community Grant Policy.
- The Chief Executive Officer will be responsible for ensuring compliance in accordance with Division 3 Discretionary funds in the Local Government Regulation 2012.
- Successful applications and amount funded are listed in Council's Annual Report each year, Council's website and displayed in Council's Customer Service Centre.
- Be based within the boundaries of Cairns Regional Council; and
- Be a community or not-for-profit organisation (in accordance with the Local Government Regulation 2012).
Applicants must not:
- Have outstanding Council grants that have not complied with the acquittal process
- Have overdue payments to Council for rents, rates, fees, Council guarantor loan repayments etc
- Be a commercial organisation
- Be a political group or organisation
- Be a discriminatory group or organisation
- Be a school, university, TAFE, Parents and Citizens group, or any educational institution
- Be eligible for and/or better suited to other Council grant streams
- Request funding or support retrospectively for a project, event or activity that has already occurred
Applications must not:
- Support private and/or commercial ventures
- Be for projects, events or activities that are the subject of litigation
If the proposed request is ineligible under this funding stream, alternative Council and non-Council grant streams may be available. Read more about other Council grant streams.
- The application will be prepared by the applicant using the requisite Mayor's Discretionary Fund application form ( PDF, 0.18 MB ).
- Applications will be assessed by the Personal Assistant to the Mayor to determine eligibility and completeness.
- Applications that meet the eligibility requirements will be submitted to the Mayor for approval or rejection. The Personal Assistant to the Mayor will inform applicants within 5 working days from the Mayor's decision.
- The Personal Assistant to the Mayor will complete funding arrangements for successful applications within 30 working days from approval date.
Applications must be submitted in writing on the application form ( PDF, 0.18 MB ), addressed to Mayor's Discretionary Fund, Financial & Grants Administration, Cairns Regional Council, PO Box 359, Cairns QLD 4870 or by email to Grants@cairns.qld.gov.au