Florence Street provides an important pedestrian link between major cultural and tourism attractions including The Precinct (Munro Martin Parklands and the Cairns Performing Arts Centre), the Cairns Aquarium and the Esplanade Parklands.
The Florence Street Link project (from the Cairns Esplanade to Grafton Street) aims to address safety and pedestrian connection issues through the replacement of two existing roundabouts with signalised intersections. Signalised intersections will provide pedestrian priority, and improve pedestrian and cyclist safety along this important link. The street will also be enhanced with attractive tropical landscaping.
An early works component of the works program started in October 2019.
The $10.5 million project includes:
- traffic signalisation of the Abbott Street / Florence Street intersection and the Lake Street / Florence Street intersection;
- footpath, and kerb and channel renewals on both sides of the road where required;
- road and car parking bay reconfigurations and road pavement improvements;
- street lighting improvements between Abbott Street and Grafton Street (removal of old timber poles of road shoulders and replacement with new LED lights on steel poles within the centre medians);
- streetscape improvements including irrigated, landscaped centre median islands and additional street tree plantings and gardens; and
- contemporary, attractive lighting of trees and other features.
A future project identified within the City Centre Master Plan is to construct a new pier opposite the end of Florence Street out from the Esplanade boardwalk which will enhance the strong link between these two significant areas.
Weather permitting, it is estimated to take approximately 12 months to complete the project - please refer to the Works in Progress page for project updates.
A light, bright colour scheme will feature along the street, with vibrant tropical, flowering trees, shrubs and ground covers. This will be complimented by new street furniture and structures including a trellis and vine structure at the corner of Abbott Street and Florence Street to continue the theming that features in Munro Martin Parklands.
New concrete footpaths will be a light-washed finish and concrete seating with slatted timber tops will form a focal point at each intersection. These will have under-seat LED strip lighting and include a planter element. Under the trellis, or adjacent to a walkway structure, stainless wires will be used to allow the growing of vines at nodal points where possible.
Bud lighting will be used on mature trees and additional lighting will be included in the new awning structure outside the Cairns Aquarium. The trellis node on the southern corner of Florence Street and Abbott Street will include a light-weight, artificial “roof” of lights which will be lit at night with coloured icicle lights.
Please review the Design Elements and Planting Scheme ( PDF, 6.83 MB ) and the Concept Plan ( PDF, 4.38 MB ) for further information. Please note however that design elements are subject to changes following the detail design phase.
Vegetation removal is unavoidable in places - please refer to the vegetation removal plan ( PDF, 2.23 MB ) for further information.
Artist impression of trellis node
Move the slider to compare the before and after image
Any project enquiries can be emailed to email@example.com.